Noise generated from turbulent shear flow

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of aeroacoustics and the generation of sound through airflow. The main question is how sound is produced in this manner, since there is no vibrating source involved. It is explained that fluctuations in the flow can directly produce sound through pressure fluctuations or indirectly through vibrations in a body. The role of frequency in this process is also discussed, with factors such as pressure gradient, velocity, and turbulence affecting the range of frequencies generated.
alchemist
Hi guys,

its been awhile since i have been back. Right now, i am involved in some research on aeroacoustics and i have been trying to get some of the basic fundamentals on aerodynamic generation of sounds. Unfortunately most of the online literature do not give much details on the physics of such mechanism. I hope you guys could provide me with some guidance.

From my understanding, sounds are perceived by us through changes in air pressure that is picked up by our ears. And most of the time, such changes in air pressure (compressions and rarefractions) are generated by objects vibrating in a medium and the compression waves generated propagates outwards and reaches us.

However, in aeroacoustics, which is sound generated aerodynamically, there do not seem to be a vibrating source here (i think..). Sound is generated by turbulent shear flow instead. What I understand is that when air flows across a surface, and becomes turbulent, vortex shedding occurs and noise is generated. But in this case, how is the noise picked up by our ears if there are no changes in pressure?

Could it be that due to vortex shedding, the source vibrates and hence produces sounds? Or are the vortices the one that generate compression hence sounds here? How is this applicable to aircraft noise generated when air flows over edges of flaps and slats when separation occurs?
Thank you all so much for you help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Aerodynamically generated noise doesn't necessarily have to be turbulent. All it requires are small fluctuations in the flow, which are present in laminar flow as well, though to a much lesser degree. That could directly produce noise because velocity fluctuations necessarily mean pressure fluctuations and therefore sound. Indirectly, those fluctuations mean fluctuating forces on a body, so they can induce vibrations in a body that is in contact with the flow, producing sound.

"velocity fluctuations necessarily mean pressure fluctuations "

thank you boneh3ad, this is the missing link i have been searching for =)

My next question would be the role of frequency in the generation of aerodynamic sounds. Or rather, what affects the frequency, hence wavelength of the sound produced by airflow? And is there any implication from the range of frequencies generated?

Well the frequency would define what sound you hear if you are talking the sound that would be directly generated by velocity/pressure fluctuations. Indirectly, it would affect how a structure interacts and that structure may or may not vibrate at the same frequency. Whatever frequency that structure vibrates at will be the sound frequency you hear.

The frequencies generated in the flow are very diverse and their nature is very complicated. It all depends on the pressure gradient along the surface (and therefore the shape of the surface), the velocity/Mach number, the surface finish of the surface, the turbulence characteristics of the free stream and plenty of other factors. Multiple frequencies can and often are present, and the frequency that is most amplified will more than likely change as you change positions in the flow.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in aeroacoustics and your question about the generation of noise from turbulent shear flow. You are correct in your understanding that sound is perceived through changes in air pressure, and that in aeroacoustics, sound is generated by turbulent shear flow rather than a vibrating source.

In this case, the noise is generated by the turbulence itself, which creates fluctuations in the air flow and subsequently creates changes in air pressure that we perceive as sound. The vortex shedding that occurs in turbulent shear flow creates these fluctuations and contributes to the overall noise generation.

To answer your question about how this applies to aircraft noise generated by flaps and slats, the separation of the airflow at these edges creates turbulence and vortex shedding, which then contributes to the overall noise generated by the aircraft. This is why design modifications, such as adding serrations to the edges, can help reduce the noise levels.

I hope this helps to clarify the physics behind sound generation in aeroacoustics. If you need any further guidance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is turbulent shear flow?

Turbulent shear flow is a type of fluid flow that is characterized by chaotic and irregular fluctuations in velocity and pressure. It typically occurs when a fluid, such as air or water, moves over a solid surface, causing layers of the fluid to rub against each other at different speeds.

2. What causes noise to be generated from turbulent shear flow?

The irregular fluctuations in velocity and pressure in turbulent shear flow create small vortices and eddies in the fluid. As these vortices break down and dissipate, they release energy in the form of sound waves, resulting in noise.

3. How does the intensity of turbulent shear flow affect the noise generated?

The intensity of turbulent shear flow, which is determined by factors such as flow velocity and surface roughness, directly impacts the noise generated. Generally, higher intensity flows produce louder and more intense noise.

4. Is there a way to reduce the noise generated from turbulent shear flow?

Yes, there are several methods for reducing the noise generated from turbulent shear flow. These include using sound-absorbing materials, altering the surface roughness of the solid surface, and modifying the flow velocity or direction.

5. Why is it important to study noise generated from turbulent shear flow?

Understanding and controlling noise generated from turbulent shear flow is crucial in various industries and applications. Excessive noise can have negative impacts on human health and the environment, and it can also affect the performance of structures and equipment. By studying this phenomenon, scientists can develop methods to reduce noise and improve overall efficiency and safety.