Help me make sense of this quantum universe

In summary, quantum mechanics is the study of matter and radiation at the atomic scale. Quantum field theory is the application of quantum mechanics to fields -- specifically, those representing particles.
QuantumDefect
Hello I am a second year physics undergrad and I am still in the intro classes. I was wondering if someone could explain to me what all these fields entail and how they are related: Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Theory, and Quantum Field Theory. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
'Quantum theory' is the umbrella term for any quantized (i.e. non-classical) theory. Quantum mechanics is the quantized version of classical mechanics, and is an example of a quantum theory. Quantum Field Theory is the name of a theory of particles in which every particle is a quantum of a field; i.e. the electron is the quantum of an electron field. Where the electron field is non-zero, we (may) perceive an electron. It is also an example of a quantum theory.

- Warren

Last edited:
Quantum Theory says energy isn't continuous, but is quantized. Quantum mechanics is the same thing, but of classical mechanics, and QFT... well... you drop a cat in a box and try and kill it with evil poison, without observing it...

I'm done with this comedy thing...

Paden Roder

I thought Quantum Mechanics was the study of matter and radiation at the atomic scale? wouldn't this include all of QFT?

Quantum mechanics is mechanics -- it deals with forces, motion, and so on. It does not deal directly with what the particles ARE, nor does it deal with the nature of how the forces work. QM does not deal directly with radiation -- that's the domain of a subdiscipline, quantum electrodynamics. Quantum field theory is the application of quantum mechanics to fields -- specifically, those representing particles.

- Warren

Classical particles are described at classical level by the coordinates q&p and the all important classical obervable called "Hamiltonian".Quantizing these 3 basic classical observables according to the second postulate of QM basically realizes the "quantization" of the system and therefore this theory is called Quantum MECHANICS.It's a quantized version of classical Hamilton mechanics,so it deals with the quantum observable called HAMILTONIAN (a densly defined self-adjoint linear operator) and with the concepts of operators for momentum,position,kinetic and potential energy,aso.
Classical fields (such as the electromagnetic field) are described by generally complex functions defined on the flat Minkowski space taking values in the algebra of either the real functions (the em field,the gluon field,the scalar boson field,the nonphysical Goldstone boson,the Higgs boson,...),complex functions (the complex scalar field) or in an exotic algebra called the Grassmann algebra (the (seminteger)spinor fields).All these fields are representations of the restricted Poincaré group,that is the group of space-time proper roto-translations.Each of these classical fields,when quantized accordingly to the second postulate,describes at quantum level a free relativistic particle with positive integer/seminteger spin.This is QFT.Then all u have to do is find appropriate interaction hamiltonians and build interactions between these particles...

1. What is quantum physics and why is it important?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us better understand the fundamental nature of reality and has led to many technological advancements, such as computers and smartphones.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is based on the principles of probability and uncertainty, while classical mechanics is based on determinism and cause and effect. In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states at the same time, while in classical mechanics, particles have a well-defined position and momentum at all times.

3. What is the double-slit experiment and why is it significant?

The double-slit experiment is a famous experiment in quantum physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It involves shooting particles, such as photons or electrons, through two parallel slits and observing the pattern they create on a screen. The results of this experiment have challenged our understanding of the nature of reality and have had a profound impact on the development of quantum physics.

4. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This means that changing the state of one particle will instantly affect the state of the other particle, even if they are on opposite sides of the universe.

5. Can we use quantum mechanics to time travel?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that time travel is possible using quantum mechanics. While some theories, such as the concept of wormholes, suggest that it may be theoretically possible, there is no way to test or prove these ideas at this time. Additionally, the laws of physics as we currently understand them do not allow for time travel.