Calculating Energy Transformed by Friction in a Falling Satellite

• Thread starter hauthuong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, a 500 kg satellite is in an orbit 500 km above the Earth's surface but eventually falls to the surface due to air friction. It hits the ground with a speed of 2.00 km/s. To calculate the amount of energy transformed into internal energy, the equation KE_0+PE_0=KE_f+PE_f+W_{friction} should be used, where KE_0 and PE_0 represent the initial kinetic and potential energy, and KE_f and PE_f represent the final kinetic and potential energy. The initial velocity can be found using the formula 1/2mv^2, and for potential energy, the formula GM1M2/r2 can be used.
hauthuong
A 500 kg satellite is in a orbit at an altitude of 500 km above the Earth's surface. because of the air friction, the satellite eventually falls to the Earth's surface, where it hits the ground with a speed of 2.00 km/s.how much energy was transformed into the internal energy by means of friction?
I really got no clue to solve this one. Could you guy give me some instructions? If you could, give me a lecture about this type of problem. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a work-energy problem. Consider solving the equation:
[tex]KE_0+PE_0=KE_f+PE_f+W_{friction}[/tex]

Take the initial energy (potential plus kinetic) and subtract the final energy.

for kinetic energy I will us 1/2mv^2 .How do I find the V initial , Also, for Potential energy , I have to use GM1M2/r2 ? is it right? Thank you

1. How is the energy transformed by friction calculated in a falling satellite?

The energy transformed by friction in a falling satellite can be calculated by using the equation E = Fd, where E is the energy transformed, F is the force of friction, and d is the distance over which the friction acts.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy transformed by friction in a falling satellite?

The amount of energy transformed by friction in a falling satellite is affected by the velocity of the satellite, the surface area of the satellite, the type of material the satellite is made of, and the atmospheric conditions in which the satellite is falling.

3. Can the energy transformed by friction in a falling satellite be reduced?

Yes, the energy transformed by friction in a falling satellite can be reduced by decreasing the speed of the satellite, increasing its surface area, using materials with lower coefficients of friction, and reducing the atmospheric density.

4. How does the energy transformed by friction affect the overall motion of a falling satellite?

The energy transformed by friction acts as a resistive force, slowing down the satellite's motion. This can cause the satellite to eventually come to a stop and potentially crash onto the surface of the Earth.

5. Is it necessary to consider the energy transformed by friction when calculating the total energy of a falling satellite?

Yes, it is important to take into account the energy transformed by friction when calculating the total energy of a falling satellite. This energy cannot be ignored as it plays a crucial role in the overall motion and eventual fate of the satellite.