Particles in objects are constantly exchanged w/ particles in environment

• Thread starter Farishta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary: It should. This is the same thing that is talked about when discussing phase transitions. In summary, the particles on the surface of the ice table are constantly being exchanged with particles in the surrounding environment. This keeps the table in a state of equilibrium and allows it to remain in its shape. Force carriers are mediated by the virtual particles that exist temporarily and exchange between the particles making up a table.
Farishta
I read or watched a documentary a long time ago that explained that the particles in any given object are constantly being exchanged with particles in the surrounding environment. i.e. the particles of matter that make up a table are constantly being added to and taken away, exchanged with the environment, so that the table has none of the same particles over time that it originated with.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this and can point me in the direction of more information about it.

Also, if anyone knows of any sources on the topic of how the particles in the table keep themselves in the shape of the table, that information would be useful as well.

Thank you. This is my first post here and am thankful for any comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
Farishta said:
I read or watched a documentary a long time ago that explained that the particles in any given object are constantly being exchanged with particles in the surrounding environment. i.e. the particles of matter that make up a table are constantly being added to and taken away, exchanged with the environment, so that the table has none of the same particles over time that it originated with.
That sounds like living organisms, not tables-- tables in a N2 gas would seem to be pretty inert I would think. They might mean electrons tunneling from atom to atom, but I don't think that happens very quickly, I don't know if that's what they meant.

Thanks, Ken G. It's possible that it was discussing electron sharing but it's been so long since I either saw or read about the topic that I don't recall exactly what was being said. I appreciate your input.

Farishta said:

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this and can point me in the direction of more information about it.

Also, if anyone knows of any sources on the topic of how the particles in the table keep themselves in the shape of the table, that information would be useful as well.

Thank you. This is my first post here and am thankful for any comments.

I'm not sure about a wooden table, but the phenomena you describe is fairly common in phase exchange situations. Let's say your table is made of ice at a temperature of -25°C. This surface of ice is in a state of equilibrium with an atmosphere of water vapor.

That surface would receive some 2.51 x 10^24 vapor molecule impacts per square meter per second. The general assumption is that most (if not all) of these molecules "stick". Since we have equilibrium, the same number leave that ice surface in one second. Since there will be 9.81 x 10^18 surface molecules per square meter, this means that each surface molecule is "replaced" some 256 thousand times each second.

This "replacement" in not all due to the "newcomers". Many of the surface molecules will be replaced by adjoining molecules just below the surface. And many of the newcomers will have sufficient kinetic energy of translation to penetrate below the surface molecular layer of the ice.

As for the ice table keeping its shape, the same intermolecular binding forces that kept the departing molecules in place will apply to the newcomers as well.

Some of this sounds like a badly misunderstood explanation of force carriers. In quantum mechanics, forces are mediated by a constant exchange of virtual particles. These virtual particles are not the particles that an object is made of, they are "incomplete" particles that last only a brief time, traveling between the particles making up normal matter and carrying the forces holding things together. Sound familiar at all?

1. What is the significance of particles being exchanged between objects and the environment?

The exchange of particles between objects and the environment is important because it allows for the maintenance of equilibrium and the recycling of essential elements. This process is essential for the survival of living organisms and the functioning of the Earth's ecosystem.

2. How does the exchange of particles occur?

Particles can be exchanged through various mechanisms such as diffusion, osmosis, and active transport. Diffusion is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, while osmosis is the movement of water molecules from an area of high water potential to an area of low water potential. Active transport involves the use of energy to move particles against their concentration gradient.

3. What types of particles are exchanged between objects and the environment?

The types of particles that are exchanged can vary, but they generally include gases, liquids, and solids. For example, in the process of respiration, humans exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide with the environment. Plants also exchange gases, such as carbon dioxide and oxygen, through the process of photosynthesis.

4. How does the exchange of particles impact the health of living organisms?

The exchange of particles between objects and the environment is crucial for the health of living organisms. For example, the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide is necessary for cellular respiration, which provides energy for the body. The exchange of nutrients and waste products also plays a vital role in maintaining homeostasis and overall health.

5. What factors can affect the rate of particle exchange?

The rate of particle exchange can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration gradients. For instance, an increase in temperature can lead to an increase in the rate of diffusion, while a decrease in pressure can decrease the rate of gas exchange. Additionally, the presence of a concentration gradient can also affect the rate of particle exchange.