Is Too Much Vitamin C Bad for You?

• Thread starter decibel
  • Start date
In summary, vitamix is too much Vitamin C bad for you?..i'm kinda addicted to this orange juice, and i kinda drink it alot...and i thought seen it has 118% of vitamin C somewhere on the box.During the summer i drank an insane amount of orange juice. Something like 2 L bottle in 1.5 days. I don't remember any adverse effects from it. Companies are hyping up Vitamins while I worked in a retail store there was one organic product that one serving contained 1000% your recommended daily serving. I don't know why but I do really remember seeing this.I guess all of you are going to die. The maximum daily dose is 2,
decibel
is too much Vitamin C bad for u?..i'm kinda addicted to this orange juice, and i kinda drink it alot...and i thought seen it has 118% of vitamin C somewhere on the box.

Physics news on Phys.org
During the summer i drank an insane amount of orange juice. Something like 2 L bottle in 1.5 days.

Nothing happened to me, so i assume it is ok. :smile:

Companies are hyping up Vitamins while I worked in a retail store there was one organic product that one serving contained 1000% your recommended daily serving. I don't know why but I do really remember seeing this.

In the US, the recommended daily allowance for men is 90mgs. The maximum daily dose is 2,000mgs.

It's not good to get too much of any vitamin, although if you are healthy and not under medication, you most likely won't experience anything worse than diarhea even if you do overdose daily from orange juice.

For more info - Nationional Institute of Health http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002404.htm

Last edited:
I seem to remember from high school that you couldn't overdose any of the water-soluble vitamins, but the oil-soluble ones could be trouble. The Bs and C are water-soluble, but that's about all I remember.
I knew a guy who used to buy an oriental energy boost drink mix. It contained 15,000% the rda of one of the B vitamins. Only side effect I noticed was that he bought a Buick and became a Buddhist.

Last edited:
Linus Pauling was, according to many, the greatest chemist ever. He discovered most of what is written in chemistry textbooks today. He won 2 Nobel Prizes, one in Chemistry, and the other in Peace.

Towards the end of his life he declared Vitamin C a cure-all, and started chugging down obscene amounts of it :bugeye: . He died a few years after he started this (I think from cancer).

Many people said that "he wasnt in his right mind" in the last years of his life.

tribdog said:
I seem to remember from high school that you couldn't overdose any of the water-soluble vitamins, but the oil-soluble ones could be trouble. The Bs and C are water-soluble, but that's about all I remember.
I knew a guy who used to buy an oriental energy boost drink mix. It contained 15,000% the rda of one of the B vitamins. Only side effect I noticed was that he bought a Buick and became a Buddhist.

Yep, that's pretty much right. As long as you don't have any health problems, you'll just be wasting your money on too much water soluble vitamins, because most of it will just wind up being excreted. The most obvious side effect of too much B vitamins is bright yellow urine...I can't remember which one, maybe it was folate. The lipid soluble ones accumulate in the body and can lead to overdoses. My dad knew someone back in the 70s, or maybe early 80s, who wound up in the hospital with a vitamin E overdose.

When I thought I had a cold coming on I took about four grams of natural Vitamin C a day.

I used to drink one of those 96oz jugs of OJ everyday after work. My cholesterol is low and I'm fine.

Chaotic42 said:
I used to drink one of those 96oz jugs of OJ everyday after work. My cholesterol is low and I'm fine.
and I have a peel instead of skin and I have a navel so I must be seedless and the citric acid has dissolved my teeth and my urinary tract is full of pulp.

tribdog said:
and I have a peel instead of skin and I have a navel so I must be seedless and the citric acid has dissolved my teeth and my urinary tract is full of pulp.

:rofl:

I laughed so hard when i read that, you have no idea. It hurts so much.

Here's why too much vitamin is bad for you http://www.3.waisays.com/

Here's the main site http://www.waisays.com/ [Broken] There are other interesting topics if anyone is interested like:

how exactly milk causes osteoporosis
diabetes; the true reason
foods that cause depressions and sleeplessness
foods that cause physical stress and ADHD

Last edited by a moderator:
Herb said:
Here's why too much vitamin is bad for you http://www.3.waisays.com/

Here's the main site http://www.waisays.com/ [Broken] There are other interesting topics if anyone is interested like:

how exactly milk causes osteoporosis
diabetes; the true reason
foods that cause depressions and sleeplessness
foods that cause physical stress and ADHD

I hope you were joking with that. I checked out that site, and there are more than a few alarming red flags there! It's really a scary site, because they use real science articles and then twist and distort the findings so it almost sounds true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
I hope you were joking with that. I checked out that site, and there are more than a few alarming red flags there! It's really a scary site, because they use real science articles and then twist and distort the findings so it almost sounds true.

You serious? I wasn't joking. I tried to get some feedback from people familiar with this stuff but i didn't get any responses. What are the obvious red flags you saw? It just looked so convincing to me. I hope it's not anything i already tried

Linus Pauling was, according to many, the greatest chemist ever. He discovered most of what is written in chemistry textbooks today.

Linus Pauling and I are alumni of the same university (Oregon State U), even I would not make such grandiose claims of his achievements. He was a great scientist, no doubt. As for writing the entire chemistry book, I think that is a stretch.

Herb said:
You serious? I wasn't joking. I tried to get some feedback from people familiar with this stuff but i didn't get any responses. What are the obvious red flags you saw? It just looked so convincing to me. I hope it's not anything i already tried

One that jumps right out is their endorsement of eating raw eggs and fish. While you can take precautions to make sure the eggs and fish are fresh, you can't guarantee they won't have bacterial contamination. When you follow links throughout their site, they try to tell you things like salmonella aren't a risk of eating raw foods. That's just plain wrong.

They also had some screwy stuff on endocrinology in another part of that site.

Moonbear said:
One that jumps right out is their endorsement of eating raw eggs and fish. While you can take precautions to make sure the eggs and fish are fresh, you can't guarantee they won't have bacterial contamination. When you follow links throughout their site, they try to tell you things like salmonella aren't a risk of eating raw foods. That's just plain wrong.

They also had some screwy stuff on endocrinology in another part of that site.

Wow alright. I'll be a little bit more careful now. The salmonella explanation sounded so convincing though, i havn't totally given up on that yet. The site says we aren't at risk if we are exposed to them regularly, and not that we AREN'T at risk when consuming raw foods. I've tried to do some quick research on the net but havn't found anything to support this either so.. :rofl:

1. Is too much vitamin C bad for your health?

While vitamin C is an essential nutrient for our body, consuming too much of it can have negative effects on your health. Consuming large doses of vitamin C can cause digestive issues such as diarrhea, nausea, and stomach cramps. It can also increase the risk of developing kidney stones.

2. What is the recommended daily intake of vitamin C?

The recommended daily intake of vitamin C varies depending on age and gender. For adults, the recommended daily intake is 75-90 mg. However, pregnant and breastfeeding women may need higher doses of vitamin C. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the right amount for your body.

3. Can too much vitamin C cause toxicity?

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, meaning our body can easily eliminate any excess through urine. Therefore, it is rare to experience toxicity from consuming too much vitamin C through food sources. However, taking high doses of vitamin C supplements can lead to toxicity, which can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and kidney problems.

4. Can vitamin C interact with medications?

Vitamin C can interact with certain medications, such as blood thinners and chemotherapy drugs. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking high doses of vitamin C supplements if you are on any medications to avoid any potential interactions.

5. Are there any benefits to consuming large doses of vitamin C?

While vitamin C is beneficial for our health, consuming large doses does not provide any additional benefits. Our body can only absorb a certain amount of vitamin C at a time, and any excess is eliminated. Consuming more than the recommended daily intake will not provide any extra benefits and can potentially cause negative effects on your health.