Understanding Enantiomers of 3-Bromo-1-Butanol

• Thread starter Marconis
  • Start date
In summary, you are having trouble converting Fisher projections into Newman projections, and vice versa. I would recommend looking at a guide or video on the subject.
Marconis
We have hit stereochemistry , and I realize I will be screwed unless I can get my drawings down-pat. Okay, so, let's say the question is:

Draw clearly structures for the pair of enantiomers of each:

a) 3-bromo-1-butanol

To start, I drew out the stick-diagram, and identified the stereogenic center. I then realized that I'd have to make a proper 3D representation of it to clearly show the structure in relation to its enantiomer. I hit a road block. At the stereogenic center, you'll have two bonds in the plain of the paper, one going away (dashed) and one towards (wedged).

My question is: How are you to distinguish which gets which type of line? The only hint I have in my head is that you'd give the dashed line to lowest priority at the center (in this case, hydrogen). But, how would you determine if the bromine, say, gets a solid line or a wedged line?

Here's an image of my professors answer:
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/Marconis/Picture1.png

He represented the Br with a solid line...why? Why couldn't it be drawn with a wedged line, and be in the place where the methyl group is? If I didn't draw it like that, would my enantiomers be completely false? Please, explain clearly...I'm perishing over here.

Thank you so much in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can select any two bonds to be on the plane, it doesn't matter which ones you selected - as long as you are consistent and draw the other enantiomer the same way.

That's what I was hoping for, it just gets confusing when you draw something one way and then the answer key shows something totally different. I know that in stereochemistry, compounds are very sensitive in how they are to be drawn or else you can totally mess it up, so I wanted to be sure this wasn't the case here. Thank you!

Marconis said:
That's what I was hoping for, it just gets confusing when you draw something one way and then the answer key shows something totally different.

I can only sympathize, but as you will get experience you will see when they are the same. It is just a matter of time.

Could you perhaps help me with the following? It's not so much a homework question as it is general guidance, so I apologize if I am asking in the wrong forum.

I am having trouble converting Fisher projections into Newman projections, and vice versa. I have gotten several correct, but the method I am using has failed me on others so I think I am doing it incorrectly. Any advice on the following is greatly appreciated:

For (b), the question tells you do draw a correct Newman Projection that correctly shows the stereogenic centers. I am so confused on how to do this:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/Marconis/Picture1-1.png

So it pretty much wants me to finish up the Newman with correct placements of atoms.

The same goes for this:
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/Marconis/Picture2.png

Thanks in advance.

1. What are enantiomers?

Enantiomers are molecules that have the same chemical formula and connectivity, but are mirror images of each other. They are non-superimposable and have different physical and chemical properties.

2. How do you determine the enantiomeric purity of a compound?

The enantiomeric purity of a compound can be determined through techniques such as chiral chromatography, circular dichroism, and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.

3. What is the significance of understanding enantiomers of 3-Bromo-1-Butanol?

3-Bromo-1-Butanol is a chiral compound commonly used in organic synthesis. Understanding its enantiomers is important for studying the effects of chirality in chemical reactions and for developing more efficient and selective syntheses.

4. How can enantiomers affect the biological activity of a compound?

Enantiomers can have different interactions with biological molecules and enzymes, resulting in different biological activities. This is known as the phenomenon of enantiomeric excess, where one enantiomer may have a significantly higher or lower activity compared to the other.

5. What are some strategies for separating enantiomers?

Some common strategies for separating enantiomers include chiral resolution, where the enantiomers are separated based on their different physical properties, and asymmetric synthesis, where one enantiomer is selectively produced through a chiral catalyst or reagent.