Help understanding a SR equation

• Thread starter Reikoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sr
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of time and space in Special Relativity. The question raised is why the time interval t`1 - t`2 is used instead of the usual t`2 - t`1. The answer is that this is done to get rid of a minus sign in the full transformation equation. The conversation concludes with the understanding that switching the order of the time interval can eliminate the minus sign.
Reikoku
Hi all, I'm currently a stage 1 Physics student at uni; and in the process of learning Special Relativity.

I was reading my textbook and came across this in the Time and Space section:

Suppose an observer in frame S measures two flashbulbs going off at the same time t but at different x-coordinates x1 and x2. Then an observer in frame S` would measure the time interval t`1 - t`2 between the flashbulbs going to be:

t`1 - t`2 = [itex]\gamma[/itex]((x2-x1)*(u/c)^2)

I was wondering why it's t`1 - t`2 instead of the usual t`2 - t`1. I assume it's to prevent the final answer being negative? I feel like I'm being stupid asking this :|

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just to get rid of a minus sign. The full transformation is:
[tex]\Delta t' = \gamma(\Delta t - v\Delta x/c^2)[/tex]

Since Δt = 0, you get:
[tex]\Delta t' = -\gamma(v\Delta x/c^2)[/tex]

Where Δt' is the usual t'2 - t'1. But if you switch the order you can get rid of the minus sign on the right hand side.

Yeah that makes sense now, cheers! :D

1. What is the SR equation?

The SR equation, also known as the Special Relativity equation, is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between space and time in a moving frame of reference. It was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his Theory of Special Relativity.

2. How is the SR equation derived?

The SR equation is derived from two postulates - the principle of relativity and the speed of light postulate. These two postulates state that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference, and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers regardless of their relative motion. By combining these postulates, we can derive the SR equation which explains the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. What does the SR equation tell us about time and space?

The SR equation tells us that time and space are not absolute, but are relative to an observer's frame of reference. This means that measurements of time and space will vary depending on an observer's relative motion. The equation also shows that time and space are interconnected, and that as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, time will slow down and length will contract.

4. How is the SR equation used in practical applications?

The SR equation has many practical applications, especially in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction in high-speed objects, such as particles in accelerators. It is also used in the development of technologies such as GPS, which rely on accurate measurements of time and space to function properly.

5. Are there any limitations to the SR equation?

While the SR equation accurately describes the relationship between space and time in a moving frame of reference, it does have limitations. It only applies to objects moving at constant velocities in a straight line, and does not account for acceleration or gravitational effects. In these cases, the more complex General Relativity equation is used.