Help with Method of Characteristics - PDE's

• Thread starter rexasaurus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the Method of Characteristics is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) by transforming them into a system of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) along characteristic curves. It is commonly used for first-order linear PDEs and has several advantages, including the ability to handle a wide range of PDEs and provide a clear geometric interpretation of the solution. However, it also has limitations, such as not being suitable for all types of PDEs and requiring a good understanding of the underlying physics and math concepts. Resources for learning more about the Method of Characteristics include books and online tutorials and lecture notes.
rexasaurus
1. Use the method of characteristics to solve: xux+yuy=1

2. given condition of u(x,y)=1 when x2+y2=1

3. I know I need to transpose into the s-t domain. Using: du/ds=uxdx/ds+uydy/ds=aux+buy
so a=x & b=y...

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to solve for the following:
du/ds=1 integrate to get u=s+K1
dx/ds=x integrate to get x=K2es
dy/ds=y integrate to get y=K3es

I am unsure how to use the IC's

What is the Method of Characteristics?

The Method of Characteristics is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs). It involves transforming the PDE into a system of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) along a set of characteristic curves, which are curves in the solution surface that satisfy the PDE. By solving the ODEs, the solution to the PDE can be obtained.

When is the Method of Characteristics used?

The Method of Characteristics is commonly used to solve first-order linear PDEs, such as the transport equation and the heat equation. It is also useful for solving nonlinear PDEs, although it may require more advanced techniques.

What are the advantages of using the Method of Characteristics?

The Method of Characteristics has several advantages over other methods of solving PDEs. It can handle a wide range of PDEs, including both linear and nonlinear equations. It also provides a clear geometric interpretation of the solution, making it easier to understand and visualize. Additionally, it can be used to solve PDEs in complex domains, such as curved surfaces.

What are the limitations of the Method of Characteristics?

Although the Method of Characteristics is a powerful tool for solving PDEs, it does have some limitations. It may not work for all types of PDEs, particularly those with complex boundary conditions. It also requires a good understanding of the underlying physics and mathematical concepts, and may be challenging for beginners to grasp.

How can I learn more about the Method of Characteristics?

There are many resources available for learning more about the Method of Characteristics. Some recommended books include "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow and "Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction" by Walter A. Strauss. Online resources, such as tutorials and lecture notes, are also available for further study.