(Magnets) Is the attractive force stronger than the repulsive force?

In summary, the conversation discusses a video that claims the attractive force between two identical magnets is stronger than the repulsive force at the same distance. The individual wants to design an experiment to test this claim and seeks advice on the experiment and the theories behind magnetic forces. The expert suggests improvements for the proposed experiment and explains the limitations and complexities of studying magnetic forces.
AFSstudent
Recently I've seen this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUpFc-0yg0&feature=related
and after watching that I ask is this true? Is the attractive force between two identical magnets distanced away from each other stronger than the repulsive force at the same distance? Is the conclusion of demonstration neglecting any theories?

I would like to design an experiment to prove or disprove my second question. I have an idea for an experiment it is fairly simple though. I'm not sure if the results I'd attain could be used to prove or disprove anything as I'm unsure of my idea:
I intend to use two ring magnets. A pencil or something similar (to be used as a make-shift track for the two magnets) is passed through the two ring magnets. One ring magnet will remain stationary and the other one will be held a fixed distance away from the first one, non-stationary. Using a stop watch I'll measure for how long the non-stationary is displaced by magnetism for both attraction and repulsion (I'll have to be really quick with the stopwatch I may have to do this several times and take averages).
I'll measure the total displacement for each case also (making sure the track is parallel to the horizon for this experiment), in the case of attraction it is the fixed distance I was talking about (this is one thing I'm unsure of doing). It is known that for both cases the initial velocity of each magnet is 0ms^-1, I have measure the displacement for both cases and also time.
Using the kinematic equation s = ut + (at^2)/2 I can work out the acceleration of the ring magnet for both cases and hence use F = ma (Newton's 2nd law, after finding the mass of the ring magnets, both of which are approximately identical) to calculate and compare the forces of both attraction and repulsion hence draw a conclusion from there.

Is this a viable experiment to test the forces of magnetism? I'm seeking advice as to whether or not there is a different experiment that I can carry out (keeping in mind my limitations as a student) to test this. I would also like some feed back or any advices on improving the experiment idea that I've come up with. I'm also interested in whether or not that video's conclusion is true or not, as in the theories behind the results I'd like to know why he got the results he got or why he did/didn't get the results he should have gotten. Basically I'd like to build my understanding on this so I'd like to know any theories related to this question (I'm sorry I feel like I'm repeating myself).

I'm sorry if I'm asking too much and if I posted this in the wrong section but if possible I'd really like a lot of help and advice on this, all the articles I've read so far are not refined enough or specific to this question.
Thanks a lot for reading all this and even more thanks if you help me!

Physics news on Phys.org

I appreciate your curiosity and your desire to design an experiment to test the forces of magnetism. Your proposed experiment seems like a good start, but there are a few things that could be improved upon to make it more accurate and reliable.

Firstly, I would recommend using more than just one set of data for each case (attraction and repulsion). It would be better to repeat the experiment multiple times and take the average of the results to reduce the impact of any errors or inconsistencies.

Secondly, when measuring the displacement of the non-stationary magnet, it would be better to use a ruler or measuring tape instead of a pencil. This will give you more precise measurements.

Additionally, instead of using a stopwatch, you may want to consider using a video camera to record the movement of the magnets. This will allow you to go back and analyze the data more accurately, especially for shorter time intervals.

In terms of your question about the attractive and repulsive forces between two identical magnets, the video you watched may have limited scientific validity. It is important to consider that the strength of magnetic forces depends on many factors, such as the distance between the magnets, the orientation of the magnets, and the strength of the magnets themselves.

There are a few theories that can help explain the behavior of magnetic forces. One theory is the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. Another theory is the theory of electromagnetism, which explains how magnetic fields are created by electric currents and how they interact with each other.

In order to fully understand the forces at play between two magnets, it may be necessary to conduct more complex experiments and to consider all the variables involved. I would recommend researching and reading scientific articles on the topic to gain a better understanding.

Overall, your experiment is a good start, but it may need some modifications and additional research to draw a solid conclusion on the strength of magnetic forces. I wish you the best of luck in your experiment and in your scientific journey.

1. Is the attractive force of magnets stronger than the repulsive force?

Yes, the attractive force of magnets is typically stronger than the repulsive force. This is because opposite poles (north and south) attract each other, while like poles (north and north, or south and south) repel each other. The strength of the attractive and repulsive forces depends on the strength of the magnet and the distance between them.

2. How do magnets attract and repel objects?

Magnets have a magnetic field surrounding them, which is strongest at the poles. When an object with magnetic properties (such as iron or steel) enters this magnetic field, the magnetic forces cause it to either be attracted to or repelled by the magnet. This is due to the alignment of the magnetic domains within the object.

3. Can magnets attract non-magnetic materials?

No, magnets can only attract objects with magnetic properties. Non-magnetic materials, such as wood or plastic, do not have magnetic domains and therefore cannot be attracted to magnets. However, they can be influenced by the magnetic field and may become temporarily magnetized.

4. Is the strength of a magnet determined by its size?

The size of a magnet does play a role in its strength, but it is not the only factor. The strength of a magnet also depends on the material it is made of, the number of magnetic domains it contains, and the alignment of these domains. A larger magnet made of a weaker material may not be as strong as a smaller magnet made of a stronger material.

5. How can I make a magnet stronger?

The strength of a magnet is determined by its material and structure, so it cannot be easily changed. However, there are ways to temporarily increase the strength of a magnet, such as by stacking multiple magnets together or by increasing the number of magnetic domains within the magnet. These methods can only provide a temporary boost in strength and may damage the magnet in the long run.