Triangle Angles: Find b & c with A-B-C given

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angles of a right triangle when the lengths of the sides are known. The suggested methods include using the law of sines and trigonometric functions such as cosine, sine, and tangent. The inverse function is needed to find the angles, which can be accessed through the use of the INV button on a scientific calculator.
logmode
I am stuck on the job; I need to find the angles.
It’s not an angle or side based triangle, just a right triangle. The lengths are known, A-B-C. What I need to know is the angles, a-b-c. So, a=90*, what formula could I use to find b, and c? Sorry, please make it easy enough for me to work it out, I never made it past algebra and failed geometry.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you could use law of sines. Plug in your values and solve for the desired angles

[tex]\frac{sin(a)}{A} = \frac{sin(b)}{B} = \frac{sin(c)}{C} = 2R[/tex]

However, this is past algebra and sometimes covered at the end of geometry.

Last edited:
If this is a right angled triangle, could you not use trigonometry.
ie.

Cos(c) = adjacent/hypotenuse = B/A
Sin(c) = opposite/hypotenuse = C/A
Tan(c) = opposite/adjacent = C/B

Similarly for angle b

Cos(b) = C/A
Sin(b) = B/A
Tan(b) = B/C

That's over my head. Can you please break it down?

Right, so you have a right angled triangle. The angle a = 90. The side opposite of angle a = A. The side opposite of angle b = B. The side opposite of angle c = C.

Now the longest side of a right angled triangle is known as the hypotenuse, this always happens to be the side opposite to the right angle, so side A = hypotenuse.

Now if we consider angle b, it is the angle between the side A (hypotenuse) and the side C. We call the side C the adjacent side. Then side B is the opposite (because it is the side opposite of angle b).

If we consider angle c, then A = hypotenuse, B = adjacent, C = opposite.

Now there are functions that relate the sides and angles of a triangle.

Cos (angle) = adjacent/hypotenuse
Sine (angle) = opposite/hypotenuse
Tan (angle) = opposite/adjacent

This is how you get the equations i wrote above. Now you can find the cos, sine, and tan function on a standard scientific calculator. So if you want to find the angle you do the inverse function of the ratio of the sides.

So depending what side you know, you can use either of the 3 equation

angle = inverse cos(adjacent/hypotenuse)
angle = inverse sine(opposite/hypotenuse)
angle = inverse tan(opposite/adjacent)

By using the law of sines, we get

[tex]\frac{sin(a)}{A} = \frac{sin(b)}{B}[/tex]

Since you know [itex]a[/itex], [itex]A[/itex], and [itex]B[/itex], you can solve for [itex]b[/itex].

[tex]\frac{B\cdot sin(a)}{A} = sin(b)[/tex]
[tex]sin^{-1}(\frac{B\cdot sin(a)}{A}) = b[/tex]

Likewise, you can also solve for [itex]c[/itex]. Make sure your calculator setting is either on degrees or radians, depending on your situation.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the helping hand. Trigonometry is awesome.

I understand now how to get the ratio. And I found how to use C, S, or T to change angle to a ratio (put in the angle and hit the C, S, or T key on the XP-W scientific calculator, to get the ratio of the sides.), but it was said: “so if you want to find the angle you do the inverse function of the ratio of the sides.”

If: HYP = 26.1725, ADJ = 26, and OPP = 3, a = 90* so,
COS (b) = C/A = .9934, or
SIN (b) = B/A = .1146, or
TAN (b) = B/C = .1154 …

How is the inverse function executed on my calculator?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's different for each calculator, but the inverse function is denoted cos^(-1), sin^(-1), tan^(-1).

On my calculator it appears in yellow writing just above the sin, cos, and tan buttons.

So i have to press shift then sin to get inverse sin, shift cos to get inverse cos, shift tan to get inverse tan.

logmode said:
Thank you very much for the helping hand. Trigonometry is awesome.

I understand now how to get the ratio. And I found how to use C, S, or T to change angle to a ratio (put in the angle and hit the C, S, or T key on the XP-W scientific calculator, to get the ratio of the sides.), but it was said: “so if you want to find the angle you do the inverse function of the ratio of the sides.”

TAN (b) = C/B = 8.6666 …

Tan(b) = B/C = opp/adj

TAN (b) = B/C = .1154 …
Answer: INV- button
So, COS ratio – INV button – COS button = angle = 6.58*pitch
Thank you very much

Finding the error is the hard part, fixing it is easy but rewarding. So let me reverse that, thank you gamer, you have a good eye.

What is the formula for finding angle b and c in a triangle with given A-B-C?

The formula for finding angle b and c is b = 180 - (A + C) and c = 180 - (A + B). This is based on the fact that the sum of all angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees.

What if A, B, and C are not given, but only the lengths of the sides of the triangle?

In order to find the angles b and c, you would need to use the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines, depending on the information available. These formulas involve using the lengths of the sides of the triangle to calculate the angles.

Is it possible to have more than one solution for angles b and c?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one solution for angles b and c. This is because there are multiple possible triangles that can have the same set of angles. In this case, you would need to use additional information, such as the lengths of the sides, to determine the specific triangle.

Can you use a calculator to find angles b and c?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find angles b and c. Most scientific calculators have functions for calculating trigonometric ratios, which are necessary for finding the angles in a triangle. However, it is important to make sure your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) before using it.

Are there any other methods for finding angles b and c in a triangle?

Yes, there are other methods for finding angles b and c in a triangle. One method is to use the interior angles of a triangle, which states that the sum of any two interior angles of a triangle is equal to the exterior angle. Another method is to use the properties of similar triangles, if applicable, to find the missing angles.