Sending a Follow-Up Email 3 Weeks After the Interview?

In summary: In your case, since you are already waiting three weeks, it's not like there is anything you can do to speed up the process. Just be patient.
nickadams
I had a phone interview a little over 3 weeks ago and at the conclusion of the conversation they told me that they would send an email telling me if I got the internship or not.

I didn't send a follow up email yet, but now I am wondering if I should? Is it too late? Should I do anything other than wait for their email?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it can hurt to send one, especially not after three weeks. Three weeks seems to be just perfect in terms of waiting time; you don't seem too pushy and not too apathetic either. I say go for it, what's the worst that could happen, not get the job? On the positive side, you might just land it. Good luck! :)

Lesson for next the next job interview: ask them what timescale you should expect a reply!

There's the obvious possibiility that they got your email address wrong (though they konw your phone number, so they should have been able to contact you somehow).

The other thing to remember is that "lemons ripen faster than cherries". In other words, if you were a reject they would probably tell you fairly quickly and "delete" you from their records, but you may have to wait till they have processed all the applicants before you get an "accept" decision, and that can take time for reasons outside of anybody's control.

I don't see anything wrong in asking the question after a 2 or 3 week wait, though. Just send an "neutral" email saying you haven't heard from them yet, and asking them when they expect to make a decision. Don't make it sound as if you are desparate for the position - doing that won't improve your chances of getting it.

thanks for the responses guys. I forgot to mention that they told me at the end of the interview that I would hear the result in a few weeks (whatever that means).

Also, in the follow up email, what should I even say? Everything I write out ends up sounding like "please let me know if i got the job or not", and they already know I am probably wondering that! Any tips?

Just a "please let me know the status of my application." One other thing is that if you truthfully need to know quickly because you are considering another offer, it's good to mention that. Also, it may be slow because everyone is on holiday now.

Typically, things can get slow if you run into a situation in which you are number two or three on the list, and they are waiting for number one to say yes or no, before they can tell you.

1. What is the purpose of sending a follow-up email after 3 weeks?

The purpose of sending a follow-up email 3 weeks after an interview is to express continued interest in the position and to inquire about the status of the hiring process. It also allows you to remind the interviewer of your qualifications and reiterate your enthusiasm for the job.

2. Is it appropriate to send a follow-up email after 3 weeks?

Yes, it is appropriate to send a follow-up email after 3 weeks. It shows that you are still interested in the position and proactive in following up on the interview. However, make sure to not send multiple follow-up emails as it can come across as pushy or desperate.

3. How should I structure the follow-up email after 3 weeks?

The follow-up email should be concise and professional. Start by thanking the interviewer for their time and reiterating your interest in the position. Then, politely ask if there is any update on the hiring process and if they need any further information from you. Close the email by expressing your enthusiasm for the opportunity and providing your contact information.

4. What should I include in the follow-up email after 3 weeks?

In addition to expressing continued interest in the position and inquiring about the hiring process, you can also take this opportunity to address any concerns or questions that may have arisen during the interview. You can also mention any relevant accomplishments or experiences that you may have had since the interview.

5. When is the best time to send a follow-up email after 3 weeks?

The best time to send a follow-up email after 3 weeks is during business hours on a weekday. Avoid sending the email on a Monday or Friday as these are typically busy days for most professionals. It is also recommended to send the email in the morning, as it is more likely to be read and responded to promptly.