Solve the Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge

In summary: I on the right track?In summary, a physics instructor has created a pass/fail final exam for a heat course where students must successfully melt a 110 g cube of ice in a Styrofoam box submerged in boiling water. If the ice does not fully melt or the water temperature rises by more than 2 degrees Celsius, the student fails. The thermal expansion and conductivity of ice and Styrofoam, as well as the latent heat of fusion of water, are important considerations in this problem. The solution involves calculating the rate of heat flow required to melt the ice and raise the water temperature, and using this information to determine a time "window" in which the box can be opened without failing the exam.
sasuke07

Homework Statement

A fiendish physics instructor devises the following exercise for students as a pass/fail final exam for their heat course. A 110 g cube of ice (5 cm on a side) is placed in a form fitting Styrofoam box that is 2 mm thick. The ice cube and the inside of the box are at a temperature of 0 degrees C. The entire box is now sealed and submerged in a bath of boiling water (100 degrees C) which maintains a constant temperature on the outside of the box. IF the student opens the box before the ice has totally melted he fails the course. IF the ice has melted but the temperature of the water is more than 2 degrees C he fails. Some of the following numbers may be helpful: coefficient of thermal expansion of ice =51E-6 (1/C); thermal conductivity of ice = 2.2 J/s-m-C; thermal conductivity of Styrofoam = 0.01 J/s-m-C; latent heat of fusion of water = 33.5E4 J/kg; heat capacity of water =4.18 kJ/kg-C;

Homework Equations

change in Q=(KAChange in T Change in t)/L
Change in Q=cmChange in T,

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a few questions, i was wondering if the coefficeint of thermal expansion of the ice was the same as coeffiecient of thermal conductivity, is the termoconductivity of styrofaom important? and is the latent heat of fusion of water important?, I just basically don't really know where to start
After plugging in the known numbers i got C
Change in Q=4.18*11kg*Change in T
Change in Q=(K1.5m*100C*Cahnge in t)/.002m
I am assuming that heat capactity of water and heat capacity of ice are the same, and that the surface area is 6*5^2 because a cube has 6 sides)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

sasuke07 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a few questions, i was wondering if the coefficeint of thermal expansion of the ice was the same as coeffiecient of thermal conductivity, is the termoconductivity of styrofaom important? and is the latent heat of fusion of water important?, I just basically don't really know where to start
After plugging in the known numbers i got C
Change in Q=4.18*11kg*Change in T
Change in Q=(K1.5m*100C*Cahnge in t)/.002m
I am assuming that heat capactity of water and heat capacity of ice are the same, and that the surface area is 6*5^2 because a cube has 6 sides)
Divide the problem into two parts:

1. heat flow required to melt the ice.

2. heat flow required to raise the temperature of the water by 2°C.

You have to work out the rate at which heat flows into the box. What determines that?

Knowing how long it takes to melt the ice and how long after that it takes to raise the temperature 2°C will give you a time "window" in which to open the box.

AM

1. What is the "Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge"?

The "Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge" is a difficult and comprehensive physics exam designed to test students' understanding of key concepts and problem-solving skills.

2. Who created the "Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge"?

The "Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge" is created by a team of experienced physics educators and scientists.

3. How is the "Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge" different from a regular physics exam?

The "Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge" is designed to be more challenging and comprehensive than a regular physics exam, with a focus on critical thinking and problem-solving rather than memorization.

4. How can I prepare for the "Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge"?

You can prepare for the "Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge" by reviewing key concepts and practicing problem-solving with similar types of questions. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or study group.

5. Is the "Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge" necessary for my academic or career success?

The "Fiendish Physics Final Exam Challenge" is not a requirement for most academic or career goals, but it can be a valuable tool for self-assessment and improving your understanding of physics principles.