Is my tooth pain caused by a bad dentist or bad hygiene?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the person had a cleaning a few weeks ago and had to get two fillings. They experienced a lot of pain when drinking cold liquids where one of the fillings was placed and were warned that they may need another root canal if the pain doesn't go away. They are questioning if this is due to their own hygiene or the dentist's skills and are asking for advice. Someone else shared their experience with a cold-sensitive tooth and recommended waiting it out or getting a second opinion. Another person had a similar experience with a filling being too close to the nerve. The summary advises getting a second opinion and checking with the dentist during teeth cleanings.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I went in for a cleaning a couple of weeks ago and had to get 2 fillings :( SADFACE! Then... the worst of the worst of the worstness happened! I started feeling a lot of pain when I'd drink cold liquids where one of the fillings was put in. The last time this happened was about 3 years ago and I ended up having to get a root canal. SO, I went in today and the dentist said that if the pain doesn't go away in a couple of weeks, I'll need to get another root canal :( :( :( :(

MEGASADFACE. I know, right?

The thing I'm starting to wonder is if this is my bad hygiene (I brush daily but could do much better) or is this a bad dentist at work? If so, I want to look for a new dentist. He mentioned that he had to drill pretty deep for the filling when he actually put it in, but since he's the only dentist I've ever had, I've never known if he's a good dentist or bad dentist.

GIVE ME ADVICE FACELESS INTERNET PEOPLE.

Biology news on Phys.org
Ouch. I've done battle with a cold-sensitive tooth before. It got so bad I would wince if I had to breath through my mouth.

My dentist said the only thing he could do was a root canal. But his advice was to just wait it out, if I could stand it. He said it takes a *long* time for a nerve to settle down sometimes.

He was right! It took nearly 2 years, for crying out loud! But it did eventually calm down, and I'm glad I was patient. I was always afraid it was going to get suddenly critical at an inconvenient time, like while on a backpacking trip. I was lucky it didn't.

Oh and when you go and get your teeth cleaned, be sure to mention it to the hygienist. They can warm up the rinse water for you.

It really seems to me that he isn't taking his job seriously. My dentist would stop at nothing to determine the cause of the pain and offer a choice of solutions (if more than one is available). I recommend that you get a second opinion.

edit: Sorry, Lisa; I was composing when you posted.

I have one root canal with crown lengthening done and the tooth next to it is quite sensitive to hot and cold.

lisab said:
He was right! It took nearly 2 years, for crying out loud! But it did eventually calm down, and I'm glad I was patient.

2 years?! Eff that, root canal please.

Danger said:
It really seems to me that he isn't taking his job seriously. My dentist would stop at nothing to determine the cause of the pain and offer a choice of solutions (if more than one is available). I recommend that you get a second opinion.

edit: Sorry, Lisa; I was composing when you posted.

I might get a second opinion. He seems to be sure that the filling or whatever hit the nerve, though.

Pengwuino said:
2 years?! Eff that, root canal please.

I might get a second opinion. He seems to be sure that the filling or whatever hit the nerve, though.

I've had a filling that according to the dentist was super close to needing a root canal and that tooth was sensitive for a few months afterwards.

I had that happen to me once Peng. Turned out the dentist had put the filling to where it was in contact with the nerve. He apologized profusely and admitted it was his fault.

Get it checked.

1. What makes a dentist "bad"?

A bad dentist can be defined as one who consistently provides subpar or inadequate dental care to their patients. This can include issues such as misdiagnosing or overlooking oral health problems, using outdated or incorrect techniques, and not properly informing patients of their treatment options.

2. How can I tell if my dentist is doing a good job?

Some signs that your dentist is doing a good job include clear communication and explanations of your oral health status, using up-to-date techniques and technology, and ensuring you are comfortable during procedures. It is also important to regularly check for any issues or concerns after a dental visit.

3. What should I do if I suspect my dentist is providing poor care?

If you have concerns about your dentist's care, it is important to address them directly with your dentist first. If your concerns are not resolved, you can file a complaint with your state's dental board or seek a second opinion from another dentist.

4. Can a patient be considered "bad" for not following their dentist's instructions?

A patient can be considered "bad" if they consistently ignore or refuse to follow their dentist's instructions for proper oral hygiene and care. This can result in negative consequences for their oral health and potentially cause problems for their dentist in providing effective treatment.

5. How can a dentist handle a difficult patient?

A dentist may encounter difficult patients who are uncooperative, argumentative, or non-compliant. To handle these situations, it is important for the dentist to remain calm and professional, clearly communicate expectations and treatment plans, and involve the patient in decision making. If necessary, the dentist can also refer the patient to another practitioner who may be better suited to meet their needs.