Write a closed form expression for the approximation y(nC)

In summary, the conversation discusses a way to approximate the expression y(nC) ≈ 7.3 + C + \frac{C}{3^{10C}} + \frac{C}{3^{20C}} + \frac{C}{3^{30C}} using a geometric series. The exact sum can be written as (1-r^(n+1))/(1-r), where r=1/(3^(10C)) if n is large. The use of "approximately equal" is questioned and it is clarified that the two sums are equivalent. The use of sigma notation is also discussed in relation to the "closed form expression."
IntegrateMe
[tex]y(4C) ≈ 7.3 + C + \frac{C}{3^{10C}} + \frac{C}{3^{20C}} + \frac{C}{3^{30C}}[/tex]

Would:

[tex]y(nC) ≈ 7.3 + C\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{3^{10Cn}}}[/tex]

Be an acceptable answer? If not, what am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help?

The sum part is a geometric series r^n where r=1/(3^(10C).

Oh, ok. So should I be relating this to [tex]a\frac{1-r^n}{1-r}[/tex]
In particular, will my solution look something like:

[tex]y(nC) ≈ 7.3 + C\frac{1-{\frac{1}{3^{10C}}}^n}{1-\frac{1}{3^{10C}}}[/tex]
?

Depends. What are you really trying to do here? Why are you writing approximately equal to? (1+r+r^2+...+r^n) is actually (1-r^(n+1))/(1-r).

Well, because y(nC) is an approximation of some function, I assume. I just realized that there should have been a "..." in the initial y(4C).

IntegrateMe said:
Well, because y(nC) is an approximation of some function, I assume. I just realized that there should have been a "..." in the initial y(4C).

Now why would you do that? Then the first sum is the same as second sum. You can sum a geometric series like that exactly. As you've basically already said. If n is large and r=1/(3^(10C) is small you can approximate it by the infinite sum. I don't see any other role for 'approximately equal' here.

I just assumed that I couldn't use the sigma notation since they specified a "closed form expression." But, then again, I'm not entirely what that means.

What is a closed form expression?

A closed form expression is a mathematical formula that can be written in a finite number of operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It does not involve iterative processes or infinite series.

What does y(nC) represent in the closed form expression?

y(nC) represents the approximation of a function y at a specific point nC. This is known as the closed form solution or analytical solution of the function.

How is a closed form expression different from other forms of mathematical expressions?

A closed form expression is different from other forms of mathematical expressions, such as recursive or iterative expressions, because it provides an exact solution rather than an approximation or a sequence of steps to find the solution.

Can a closed form expression be used for any type of function?

No, a closed form expression is not applicable to all functions. It is most commonly used for simple and well-defined functions, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

Are there any limitations to using closed form expressions?

Yes, there are some limitations to using closed form expressions. They may not always exist for certain functions, and even when they do exist, they may not be easily obtainable or computationally efficient. Additionally, closed form expressions may only provide an approximation of the true solution for more complex functions.