Is string theory just a new math?

In summary: The other article mentioned how string theory might help us understand the structure of materials like carbon.
redrum419_7
I have read in a couple different places that the math that comes out of string theory has helped a couple of different other branches of physics like quantum computing and condensed matter physics.

Quote from: http://www.ams.org/news/math-in-the-media/11-2011-media

"Maybe string theory is not a unique theory of reality, but something deeper--a set of mathematical principles that can be used to relate all physical theories. Maybe string theory is the new calculus."

I am wondering what any of your thoughts about this are.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cynical comment: String theory has been around for many years, but there has been (little or) no experimental evidence for or against. It sounds like someone is trying to justify all the effort that has gone into its development.

mathman said:
Cynical comment: String theory has been around for many years, but there has been (little or) no experimental evidence for or against. It sounds like someone is trying to justify all the effort that has gone into its development.

String Theory's in its infancy. I wouldn't expect too much evidence to arise for or against it.

Whovian said:
String Theory's in its infancy. I wouldn't expect too much evidence to arise for or against it.

What?

Nobody said of GR that it's in its infancy, and String Theory is with us from the 1980's (if not more).

redrum419_7 said:
I have read in a couple different places that the math that comes out of string theory has helped a couple of different other branches of physics like quantum computing and condensed matter physics.
Me too.

For example, I once heard a talk about the possibility to transfer a problem with strong coupling (like QCD) to a similar problem with weak coupling (which can be calculated perturbatively) in a different spacetime geometry. I didn't get the details, but the speaker (or his working group) was able to handle the tricky QCD calculations with this approach.

String Theory's in its infancy.
And I don't expect that this will change in the next decades :wink:.

Further cynical comment: Which will come to fruition first, string theory or nuclear fusion power (it's been 20 years away for the last 50 years or so)?

One of the articles I read mentioned that the string theory equations for a black hole can be used for some part of quantum computing.

1. Is string theory just a new math?

No, string theory is not just a new math. It is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity by describing the fundamental constituents of the universe as tiny, one-dimensional strings. While math is an essential tool in understanding and developing string theory, it is not the only aspect of the theory.

2. How is string theory different from other theories in physics?

String theory differs from other theories in physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, in that it attempts to provide a unified framework that can explain all fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It also predicts the existence of extra dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions we are familiar with.

3. Is string theory testable?

Some aspects of string theory are currently not testable with our current technology and experimental methods. However, there are ongoing efforts to test certain predictions of string theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions, through experiments at particle accelerators and observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. What are the criticisms of string theory?

One of the main criticisms of string theory is that it has yet to make any testable predictions that can be verified through experiments. Some also argue that the theory is too complex and abstract, making it difficult to be fully understood and accepted by the scientific community.

5. Is string theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

String theory is a highly debated topic in the scientific community. While some scientists support the theory and its potential to unify all fundamental forces, others are skeptical due to the lack of experimental evidence. As of now, string theory remains a topic of ongoing research and discussion among scientists.