System of difference equations with Mathematica

In summary, a system of difference equations is a set of equations used to model dynamic systems over discrete time intervals. Mathematica has built-in functions and tools, such as RSolve, RecurrenceTable, and Manipulate, that can be used to easily solve and visualize these systems. It is capable of handling both linear and nonlinear equations, but may struggle with very large or complex systems. However, it still provides powerful tools for visualization, such as Plot, ListPlot, and Manipulate.
DAVA
Hello all,
I am attempting to characterize a molecular pathway through a system of difference equations:

W[n + 1] = W[n] - b*L[n]*W[n] + nw
H[n + 1] = (1 - dwl)*H[n] + b*W[n]*L[n]
G[n + 1] = G[n] - g*H[n] + ng
B[n + 1] = (1 - t)*B[n] - e*G[n] + nb
T[n + 1] = (1 - dd)*T[n] + t*B[n]
L[n + 1] = L[n] + f*T[n] - b*L[n]*W[n]

where b, nw, dwl, g, ng, t, e, nb, dd, and f are all constants.
n refers to the iteration.

I currently have two problems and would appreciate any input:

1) RSolve in mathematica won't solve it as soon as I include the product of W[n] and L[n] in my system of equations. Does this make the system unsolvable fundamentally or unsolvable just for Mathematica?

Below is the complete function call (I have solved a simpler system without the L[n]*W[n] this way):

Clear["Global`*"];
Clear[n];

RSolve[
{W[n + 1] == W[n] - b*L[n]*W[n] + nw,
H[n + 1] == (1 - dwl)*H[n] + b*W[n]*L[n],
G[n + 1] == G[n] - g*H[n] + ng,
B[n + 1] == (1 - t)*B[n] - e*G[n] + nb,
T[n + 1] == (1 - dd)*T[n] + t*B[n],
L[n + 1] == L[n] + f*T[n] - b*L[n]*W[n],
W[0] == 2, H[0] == 2, G[0] == 36, B[0] == 320, T[0] == 16, L[0] == 4},
{W[n], H[n], G[n], B[n], T[n], L[n]}, n
]

2) In general, not just for the system above, let's say that I want to simplify a system into a single higher order equation (e.g. W[n],W[n+1],W[n+2], etc.). Can this be done in Mathematica? My current websearch has not revealed any example.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your system of difference equations. It looks like a complex and interesting problem.

To answer your first question, it is possible that the system is unsolvable in Mathematica due to the product of W[n] and L[n]. However, it is also possible that there is a specific syntax or formatting issue in your function call that is causing the problem. I would suggest double-checking your syntax and possibly seeking help from other Mathematica users or forums to see if anyone has encountered a similar issue.

As for your second question, it is possible to simplify a system of difference equations into a single higher order equation in Mathematica. One approach is to use the "DifferenceRoot" function, which can represent a recurrence relation in a single higher order equation. You can also try using the "RecurrenceTable" function to generate a table of values for your system and then use the "FindSequenceFunction" function to find a single equation that fits the data.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is a system of difference equations?

A system of difference equations is a set of equations that describe the change of multiple variables over discrete time intervals. These equations are used to model dynamic systems, such as population growth or chemical reactions.

2. How can Mathematica be used to solve a system of difference equations?

Mathematica has built-in functions and tools that allow users to easily input and solve systems of difference equations. These include the RSolve and RecurrenceTable functions, as well as the Manipulate command for visualizing solutions.

3. Can Mathematica handle nonlinear systems of difference equations?

Yes, Mathematica is capable of solving both linear and nonlinear systems of difference equations. Nonlinear systems may require more advanced techniques, such as using the DSolve function or implementing numerical methods.

4. Are there any limitations when using Mathematica to solve systems of difference equations?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for solving systems of difference equations, it may struggle with very large or complex systems. In these cases, it may be necessary to simplify the equations or break them down into smaller subsystems.

5. Can Mathematica be used to visualize the solutions of a system of difference equations?

Yes, Mathematica has various built-in visualization tools, such as Plot and ListPlot, that can be used to plot the solutions of a system of difference equations. The Manipulate command can also be used to create interactive visualizations of the solutions.