Is the TI Nspire CX CAS Worth Upgrading to for Electrical Engineering?

In summary, the TI-NSpire CX CAS is a great calculator and is more future proof than the TI-89. It also has many features that are new and improved in the latest TI-OS updates.
andisheh
Hi.
I'm going to university in a month to study Electrical Engineering.I already have an TI83 + , but I'm thinking of upgrading to a TI 89 or TI Nspire CAS CX because they both have CAS.
Now from what I've read on the Internet the Nspire CAS seems better because of the higher resolution color display and more user friendly interface. However TI89 has been here for a long time and has more applications like EE-Pro, EE200 or ME-Pro. Seeing that i don't intend on programming myself will this be a letdown?
Also the TI89 uses AAA batteries which I think is better because they're found easier than the TI Nspire rechargeable battery (especially since I live in Iran and the sanctions and ...you know the rest) .
I was wondering if any of you have worked with EEpro or MEPro and do you find these to be a big enough advantage to go for the TI89?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hey, I just bought the nspire CX CAS as well. I was deciding between the HP-50G, TI-89, and the nspire CX CAS. The HP-50G screen is horrible (with regards to resolution - my friend has one and it just kills my eyes) so that was a no, and the TI-89 doesn't have too many advantages over the nspire CX CAS. In my opinion, the nspire is more future-proof, and TI has been releasing pretty nice and functional OS updates for a while now. The rechargeable battery on the nspire worried me at first, but it's actually pretty awesome. The charge lasts a relatively long time, and it charges fairly quickly; it's also user-replaceable and a new one costs $9 on amazon right now (I'm in the U.S.). To me, it's a non-issue and is actually a positive characteristic of the calculator. As for the actual use of the calculator, it's pretty straight-forward and easy to use, though I still need to use it more to give my true verdict. I primarily use my TI-36X Pro scientific calculator for my classes right now.

As for your concerns about EE and ME Pro, take a look at this site, as people are working on porting/improving it:

http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=13849.0

moouers said:
Hey, I just bought the nspire CX CAS as well. I was deciding between the HP-50G, TI-89, and the nspire CX CAS. The HP-50G screen is horrible (with regards to resolution - my friend has one and it just kills my eyes) so that was a no, and the TI-89 doesn't have too many advantages over the nspire CX CAS. In my opinion, the nspire is more future-proof, and TI has been releasing pretty nice and functional OS updates for a while now. The rechargeable battery on the nspire worried me at first, but it's actually pretty awesome. The charge lasts a relatively long time, and it charges fairly quickly; it's also user-replaceable and a new one costs $9 on amazon right now (I'm in the U.S.). To me, it's a non-issue and is actually a positive characteristic of the calculator. As for the actual use of the calculator, it's pretty straight-forward and easy to use, though I still need to use it more to give my true verdict. I primarily use my TI-36X Pro scientific calculator for my classes right now.

As for your concerns about EE and ME Pro, take a look at this site, as people are working on porting/improving it:

http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=13849.0

Thank you very much. I bought one last week and I'm really happy with it. As you said it seems "future-proof" and the battery is really good and i found out that they do sell the spare batteries here in Iran!
This upgrade on the OS seems pretty useful too with capabilities like 'conics analysis' and 'inverse functions' and also 'parametric 3d graphing' are some really nice new features.
I also checked out the website I hope they finish it soon!

andisheh said:
As you said it seems "future-proof"

What do you mean future proof?

I think they mean that it won't be outdated too soon. For example, most cell phones and computers are outdated within a year, so they are not future proof. However, calculators take much longer to become outdated and since the TI-NSpire CX CAS is the top of the line right now, it is the most "future proof" :)

Eval said:
I think they mean that it won't be outdated too soon. For example, most cell phones and computers are outdated within a year, so they are not future proof. However, calculators take much longer to become outdated and since the TI-NSpire CX CAS is the top of the line right now, it is the most "future proof" :)
That is exactly what I meant.

1. What is the difference between the TI 89 and the TI nspire CAS CX?

The main difference between the TI 89 and the TI nspire CAS CX is their operating systems. The TI 89 uses a traditional operating system, while the TI nspire CAS CX uses a new operating system that allows for more advanced functionality and customization. The TI nspire CAS CX also has a color screen and a touchpad, which the TI 89 does not have.

2. Can the TI 89 and the TI nspire CAS CX perform the same functions?

Yes, both calculators have similar functionality and can perform most of the same functions. However, the TI nspire CAS CX has some additional features and capabilities, such as 3D graphing and dynamic geometry, that the TI 89 does not have.

3. Which calculator is better for high school or college math courses?

Both the TI 89 and the TI nspire CAS CX are suitable for high school and college math courses. However, the TI nspire CAS CX may be more beneficial for advanced math courses, as it has more advanced features and capabilities.

4. Is the TI nspire CAS CX allowed on standardized tests?

It depends on the specific test and testing policies. In general, the TI nspire CAS CX is not allowed on standardized tests, such as the SAT, ACT, and AP exams. However, it may be allowed on other tests, such as the IB exams. It is important to check with the testing organization to determine their policies.

5. Can I transfer programs and data from my TI 89 to my TI nspire CAS CX?

Yes, you can transfer programs and data from the TI 89 to the TI nspire CAS CX. However, you may need to convert the programs to be compatible with the TI nspire CAS CX's operating system. Additionally, not all programs may be transferable, as the two calculators have some differences in functionality.