Why classics assumed that the force constant in two different references frames?

In summary, the two observers see different values for "a" depending on the distance between them, and this is due to the constant frame speed.
najat
hi every one :)

i need a small help please ...
we have tow frames and tow observers , let suppose there is a force on an object in one of the frames , so from Newton law:
f=ma

"a" depend on "x" distance which is not constant in the other frame , so why they assumed that it is constant as the mass ?!
of course i am talking about the period before modern physics of Einstein and the electromagnetic theory.

thanks a lot ...

Physics news on Phys.org
it is true only for two uniformly moving observers.for them,
x'=x-vt
y'=y
z'=z
t'=t,where v is constant.double differentiation w.r.t. time shows the equality of forces.it is non relativistic version.

thanks andrien for the reply :)

one more quastion please:
"v" in that equations is the frame speed
what about the "a" for the body under the force ? this is what confuse me
a=dv/dt
v=x/t
so v depend on x ! ... how "a" can be constant?

a is the second derivative of x. This does not mean that a depends on x. (it may but it does not have to). Same way as the velocity does necessary depend on position even though it is v=dx/dt (and not v=x/t). There is such a thing as motion with constant velocity, isn't it?

Back to the original question, they don't assume it, it follows from the transformation equations (see andrien's post).
The acceleration in the moving frame is [tex]a^'=\frac{d^2x'}{dt^2}=\frac{d^2(x-vt)}{dt^2}=\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=a[/tex]
This is so because when you take the second derivative in respect to time of the term vt the result is zero (the first derivative is v which is a constant).

thank u nasu ...i v got it mathematically ...but not logically :)
i know i have to train my brain to imagine it ...
have a nice day ^_^

1. Why do classical physics theories assume that the force constant is the same in two different reference frames?

Classical physics theories assume that the force constant is the same in two different reference frames because of the principle of relativity. This principle states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in inertial reference frames. This means that the value of the force constant should not depend on the observer's frame of reference.

2. What is the significance of the force constant in classical physics?

The force constant, also known as the spring constant, is a fundamental parameter in classical physics. It describes the stiffness of a spring or any other elastic material, and it is used to calculate the force exerted by a spring when it is stretched or compressed. This constant is essential in understanding the behavior of springs and other elastic materials, making it a crucial concept in classical physics.

3. How is the force constant related to Hooke's law?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position. The constant of proportionality is the force constant. This means that the greater the force constant, the stiffer the spring, and the greater the force required to stretch or compress it.

4. Can the force constant change in different situations?

In classical physics, the force constant is typically assumed to be constant, meaning it does not change in different situations. However, in some cases, the force constant may change due to factors such as temperature, pressure, or the material's composition. For example, the force constant of a spring may change if it is made of a different material or if it is stretched beyond its elastic limit.

5. How is the force constant measured in experiments?

The force constant can be measured experimentally by using Hooke's law. By measuring the force required to stretch or compress a spring and the corresponding displacement, the force constant can be calculated using the equation F = kx, where F is the applied force, k is the force constant, and x is the displacement. The force constant can also be determined by measuring the period of oscillation of a spring-mass system and using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the force constant.