Basic question concerning the concept of a work integral

This means that the work done is actually positive, which is consistent with your initial calculation of +30J. In summary, the force applied to the object is -10N and the work done is +30J, resulting in the object moving from x=5m to x=2m.
aftershock
Edit: I think I figured it out actually. Left must be negative by the way I introduced the x-axis meaning the force is -10 not 10 when I set up the integral.

Hey guys, this isn't a homework question but solving a homework problem led me to think about this.

Imagine I have a mass situated on the x-axis. The mass is at x=5m, I then apply a 10N force to the object until it is at x=2m.

The force is 10, the distance is 3, they're in the same direction and the angle is zero so I performed +30J of work.

But now if I evaluate it as an integral I can say the force is ∫10dx evaluated from 5 to 2 which becomes 10*2 -10*5 = -30

So the integral tells me I performed negative work:confused: How could that be?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral is missing a minus sign, since the force is -10N.

1. What is a work integral?

A work integral is a mathematical concept used in physics to calculate the work done by a force on an object. It involves integrating the force over a given distance to find the total work done.

2. How is a work integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to find the area under a curve, while a work integral is used to find the work done by a force over a distance. Work integrals involve a force function and a displacement function, while regular integrals involve only one function.

3. What is the formula for a work integral?

The formula for a work integral is W = ∫F(x)dx, where W represents the work done, F(x) represents the force function, and dx represents the displacement function.

4. What are some applications of work integrals?

Work integrals are commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a force in various scenarios, such as lifting an object against gravity, pushing or pulling an object, and accelerating an object. They are also used in engineering to calculate the work done by machines and in economics to calculate the work done by labor.

5. Can work integrals be negative?

Yes, work integrals can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. For example, if you push a box and it moves in the opposite direction, the work done by you would be negative.