How can I simulate a two-coil problem in ANSYS Maxwell 13?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of inductance calculations using FEMM and Maxwell 13 for a 2D problem involving two coaxial copper coils with different turns, radii, and currents. While FEMM provides a simple solution, Maxwell seems to be more complicated and the user seeks help in simulating the problem. The desired frequency and currents are specified for FEMM, while the user struggled to define frequency in Maxwell and could not find a parameter for "Matrix" as an output. The user also asks about obtaining the result directly and mentions the possibility of entering the number of turns in Maxwell. Finally, the user inquires about how to obtain the induced voltage in Maxwell 13.
Uriah_Heep
Hi everybody,

I would like to compare inductance (self and mutual) calculations using FEMM and Maxwell 13, both 2D problems. In FEMM this is very simple and I just use an axissimetric solution, enter the desired frequency, currents and get the results.

When using Maxwell, however, this seems to be much more complicated. Please I appreciate your help on simulating this problem:

Two coaxial copper coils, frequency 15 kHz. Coil 1 has 16 turns, radius 56.5 mm and I represent the winding as a 1 mm radius circle in Maxwell, current i1 = 28 A. Coil 2 has 12 turns, radius 73.98 mm and I represent the winding as a 1 mm radius circle in Maxwell, current i2 = 0 A (open circuit). Distance between coils is 42.9 mm.
Currents are sinusoidal.

FEMM results are: L1 = 78 uH and L2 = 66 uH.

I tried to use Maxwell in transient mode (but could not find where to define frequency). Moreover, transient solution does no provide "Matrix" as output parameter...

Please, how can I simulate this geometry with Maxwell ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

I just realized that multiplying the inductance given in Maxwell 13 by N2 the result is the desired inductance... Is it possible to obtain the result directly ? I mean, isn't it possible to enter number of turns in Maxwell ? This is a simple axisymetric problem.

Also, how can I get induced voltage in Maxwell 13 ?

1. What is ANSYS Maxwell 13?

ANSYS Maxwell 13 is a software program that is used for electromagnetic (EM) simulation. It is part of the ANSYS suite of products and is specifically designed for solving complex EM problems.

2. How does ANSYS Maxwell 13 handle coil problems?

ANSYS Maxwell 13 uses finite element analysis (FEA) to model and solve coil problems. It takes into account the geometry, materials, and boundary conditions of the coil to accurately predict its behavior.

3. What types of coil problems can be solved with ANSYS Maxwell 13?

ANSYS Maxwell 13 can handle a wide range of coil problems, including but not limited to: inductors, transformers, motors, generators, and solenoids. It can also handle multi-turn, multi-layer, and non-planar coil geometries.

4. What are the benefits of using ANSYS Maxwell 13 for coil problems?

There are several benefits to using ANSYS Maxwell 13 for coil problems. These include: accurate and reliable results, faster design iterations, ability to simulate and optimize complex coil geometries, and improved understanding of electromagnetic behavior.

5. Is ANSYS Maxwell 13 suitable for beginners?

ANSYS Maxwell 13 is a powerful and advanced software program, and therefore may not be suitable for beginners. It requires some level of technical knowledge and training to use effectively. However, ANSYS does provide resources and support for users to learn and use the software.