How much time elapses before the motorcycle overtakes the car?

In summary, when a motorcycle overtakes a car, the time elapsed is calculated by dividing the distance between the two vehicles by the difference in their speeds. The main factors that influence this time are the distance between the vehicles, their speeds, and any changes in speed or direction during the overtaking process. While there is a formula for calculating the time elapsed, it may not always be accurate due to variables such as traffic and road conditions, as well as driver behavior. The shape and size of the vehicles can also affect the aerodynamics and ultimately impact the time elapsed.
cowgiljl
) A car and a mortocycle start at rest and at the same time on a straight track, but the motorcycle is 25.0 meters behind the car. The car accelrates at a uniform rate of 3.70 m/sec^2. And the motorcyle accelrates at a uniform rate of 4.40 m/sec^2
A) How much time elapses before the motorcycle overtakes the car?
B) How far will each have traveled during that time?
c) How far ahead of the car will the motorcycle be 2 sec. later assuming that they continue at the same rate?

What i have so far

Motorcycle and the car i have set up a proportion
2x + 50/4.40 = 2x/3.70
and X is the distance which I got 132meters

MC 132 +25 = 157 meters
car = 132

using the formula d = Vi(t)
mc i got 35.7 sec using the 157m
the car was also 132meters

Where do i go from there i know i am missing something so simple

joe

car I got 35.7sec

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright! Proper use of capitals

Alright! Proper use of capitals AND showing your work! I'm impressed- your're a fast learner!

"Motorcycle and the car i have set up a proportion
2x + 50/4.40 = 2x/3.70
and X is the distance which I got 132meters"

Do you mean "(2x+ 50)/4.40"?

Other than that it's okay. It would be better to actually state:
"After t seconds, the car will have gone x= (1/2)(3.70)t^2 meters so it will have gone x meters when t2= 2x/3.70.
After t seconds, the motorcycle will have gone y= (1/2)(4.40)t^2 meters. In order to have caught up with the car it will have to have gone y= x+25 meters. It will have gone x+ 25 meters when t2= 2(x+25)/4.40 so we must have
2(x+25)/4.40= (2x+50)/4.40= 2x/3.70.

Writing EVERYTHING out not only helps people like me follow your reasoning, it is very likely to have a good effect on your teacher and might even help you catch any mistakes. It helps me avoid losing track of what I'm doing in the middle of the problem (Something I am very prone to doing)!

Of course, that equation is the same as 3.7(2x+50)= 4.4(2x) or
7.4x+ 185= 8.8x. 1.4x= 18.5 gives x= 132 meters approximately, just as you have.

(A), however, asked for the time: Since x= 132= (1/2)(3.70)t2, this is t2= [sqrt](2(132)/3.7)= 8.44 seconds.

For (B), yes, you are correct. x= 132 meters is the distance for the car and the motorcycle traveled an additional 25 meters:
132+ 25= 157 meters.

Now the problem asks how far ahead the motorcycle will be "2 sec. later". One way to do ths would be to say: 2 seconds later than 8.44 seconds will be 10.44 seconds. Put that value of t into your formulas for the distance traveled by the car and motorcycle and subtract (remembering to allow for the car's 25 meter head start): In 10.44 seconds the car will have traveled (3.7/2)(10.44)2= 202 meters. In 10.44 seconds, the motorcyle will have (4.4/2)(10.44)2= 240 meters: that's a difference of 38 meters but remember that the motorcycle started 25 meters behind the car: it will now be 38-25= 13 meters in front. (check my arithmetic! I did this a different way and got 20 meters!)

1. How is the time elapsed calculated when a motorcycle overtakes a car?

The time elapsed is calculated by taking the distance between the motorcycle and car and dividing it by the difference in their speeds. This gives the time it takes for the motorcycle to catch up to the car.

2. What factors influence the time elapsed before a motorcycle overtakes a car?

The main factors that influence the time elapsed are the distance between the motorcycle and car, the difference in their speeds, and any changes in speed or direction that either vehicle makes during the overtaking process.

3. Can the time elapsed before a motorcycle overtakes a car be accurately predicted?

It is possible to make an estimate of the time elapsed, but it is difficult to make an accurate prediction due to the many variables involved, such as traffic conditions, road conditions, and the behavior of the drivers.

4. How does the shape and size of the motorcycle and car affect the time elapsed?

The shape and size of the vehicles can affect the aerodynamics and drag, which can impact the speed and acceleration of the vehicles. This can ultimately affect the time elapsed before the motorcycle overtakes the car.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating the time elapsed when a motorcycle overtakes a car?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the time elapsed, which is: Time = Distance / (Motorcycle speed - Car speed). However, as mentioned before, this formula may not always provide an accurate prediction due to the various factors involved.