TI-89 Titanium or TI-Nspire CX CAS?

In summary: Both calculators have CAS, 3D-graphing, and can basically do everything the other can. The only difference I see is that the Nspire has a radically different OS and layout, with a colored screen with higher resolution. But I hear so many people say it's the best and I should get it (and others say I shouldn't). But no one has explained why (thoroughly) to me.
l2udolph
Hi.

So, for the first time my younger sibling will need a graphing calculator for their classes so I'm giving them my TI-84 Plus and getting myself a new, better one. Right now I'm a Junior in high school taking ap-chemistry, ap-physics and ap-calculus AB. Next year I'll be taking calc BC (my school has AB as a prerequisite to BC).

I'm looking for a calculator that will last me through high school and college, maybe longer. So far that turns out to be the ti-89T and the ti-nspire cx cas. I read on the HP 50G but I won't feel comfortable trying to use it's RPN input method when I'm the only one in my classes (and school) using it.

When in college I plan on taking the highest level math courses available (I love math, lol) and majoring in engineering (probably computer engineering and electrical). So, which calculator should I get?

I understand that some people will say that these calculators are bad because I will rely on them to do the work for me rather than understanding the concept myself, but I will not be using them for this purpose. I will be using them to mainly check if my work is correct or not after I have finished it, and stuff like that.

So, which one and why?

Thanks!

EDIT:
I've read several forums on this same topic but none of them have actually told me why I should choose one over the other. They all have mixed feelings, so I don't know which to choose. What are the pros and cons of both?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
This link gives the Pros and Cons pretty well
http://www.techpoweredmath.com/review-ti-89-vs-ti-nspire-cas/

I've heard from a lot of people that the Nspire CX CAS is harder to use, though. :l
Is that the only reason to choose it over TI-89T?

l2udolph said:
I've heard from a lot of people that the Nspire CX CAS is harder to use, though. :l
Is that the only reason to choose it over TI-89T?

For general ease of use it's worthwhile to stay with the same line of technology. So if you are used to TI, continue with TI. You can't go wrong with either.

Greg Bernhardt said:
For general ease of use it's worthwhile to stay with the same line of technology. So if you are used to TI, continue with TI. You can't go wrong with either.

Both calculators are made from TI.
Do you mean I should go with the TI-89T because it is what is closest to the TI-84 in comparison to the Nspire CX CAS?

Both calculators have CAS, 3D-graphing, and can basically do everything the other can. The only difference I see is that the Nspire has a radically different OS and layout, with a colored screen with higher resolution. But I hear so many people say it's the best and I should get it (and others say I shouldn't). But no one has explained why (thoroughly) to me.

I do know the other benefits such as copy/paste and documents etc, but I can't really see those helping me. I heard that the Nspire CX CAS is more conserved in letting you program on it than the TI-89T (although this might not be true).

Last edited:
If you've used the earlier line of 83/84 then get the 89T, otherwise start fresh with the Nspire.

My 83+ screen started going bad, and I have been using that calculator since '97. I replaced it with the nspire CX CAS and haven't looked back. It's easy enough to use once you get used to it. A lot of functions are in menus, but the menus are very easy to navigate, allowing use of the touchpad pointer, keyboard hotkeys, or directional pad (built into the touchpad). The menu system also means you don't have to remember any funky calculator syntax. The hardest thing to get used to, however, is the graphing. The capabilities are very robust, but the layout of its graphing features is vastly different from the lower 8x series calculators I've used. It will take some getting used to, but it's worth it and, ultimately, quite user-friendly.

What is the difference between TI-89 Titanium and TI-Nspire CX CAS?

The main difference between TI-89 Titanium and TI-Nspire CX CAS is the operating system. TI-89 Titanium uses a traditional menu-based system, while TI-Nspire CX CAS has a more intuitive touchpad interface. Additionally, TI-Nspire CX CAS has more advanced graphing capabilities and can handle more complex algebraic expressions.

Can I use both TI-89 Titanium and TI-Nspire CX CAS for standardized tests?

Yes, both calculators are approved for use on standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, and AP exams. However, it is always important to check with the specific test guidelines to ensure that your calculator model is allowed.

Which calculator is better for calculus and advanced math courses?

TI-Nspire CX CAS is generally considered the better option for calculus and advanced math courses. Its touchpad interface and advanced graphing capabilities make it easier to work with complex equations and functions. However, some students may prefer the traditional menu-based system of TI-89 Titanium for these courses.

Do I need to purchase additional software for either calculator?

No, both TI-89 Titanium and TI-Nspire CX CAS come with all the necessary software and applications pre-installed. However, TI-Nspire CX CAS does offer additional software packages that can be purchased separately for subjects such as physics, chemistry, and finance.

Is there a significant price difference between TI-89 Titanium and TI-Nspire CX CAS?

Yes, there is a significant price difference between the two calculators. TI-Nspire CX CAS is the more expensive option, typically costing around $150-$200 more than TI-89 Titanium. However, the cost may be worth it for the advanced features and capabilities of TI-Nspire CX CAS.