Percentage of neutral pions created

In summary, the percentage of neutral pions produced in a high energy proton beam bombardment depends on the target material and the energy. At high energies, the number of positive, negative, and neutral pions is about equal due to the production of light quarks and antiquarks. However, there may be slight differences in the production of neutral pions due to initial valence quarks and the quarks' small mass. At lower energies, such as 3 GeV, the percentage of neutral pions may increase or decrease compared to higher energies.
cambrian
When bombarding a target with a high energy proton beam, of the pions produced, what determines the percentage of them that are neutral?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on your target material and the energy.
I would expect that about ~1/3 to ~1/2 of all produced primary (!) pions are neutral.

Thanks mfb.

How do you know this? Let's say we had a liquid hydrogen target (so all proton targets). So we have an incoming proton with energy E interacting with a stationary proton. There will be some impact parameter, p. Given E and p (well - I would be messing with Heisenberg - but let's say we knew them within some small error) , is there a rule for determining what pions are produced?

Thanks again.

I believe at high energies such as at the LHC, details cease to matter, and the number of positive, negative and neutral pions produced is about equal.

At high energy, light quarks (especially up and down) and antiquarks are produced in large amounts, and combine to some hadrons afterwards. I would expect that "up anti-down", "down anti-up", "up anti-up" and "down anti-down" all have a similar probability, and form pi+, pi-, pi0, pi0, respectively. That approximation is not perfect, of course, as you have the initial valence quarks (2 up and 1 down in the beam, some variable composition in the target) and the quarks have a small mass.

But it's only the linear combination (up-antiup - down-antidown) that forms a pi0, right?

Right, therefore I wrote 1/3 to 1/2 - I would expect that the neutral pion counts twice, but I am not sure.

In the limit it's 1/3. This is from isospin symmetry. At 91 GeV, the measured number is 0.369 +/- 0.014.

Even for for events with very high pt jets at the LHC ( 1TeV) the neutral pion has the slight egde mentioned by Vanadium 50(~37%) over the democratic case. I think this is because even if the collision happens at very high energies the hadronization process in which the pions are produced occurs close to the [itex]\Lambda_{qcd}[/itex] scale, so the mass difference still has an effect.

I think it's decays of heavier states, not mass differences, that slightly favor the pi0.

Thanks everyone, That is very helpful.

What about at lower energies? If I have a 3 GeV beam, would you expect the % of pi0 to increase or decrease compared to the 91 GeV case?

1. What is the significance of the percentage of neutral pions created?

The percentage of neutral pions created is a measure of the efficiency of a particle collision in producing neutral pions. Neutral pions are important as they are the most common decay product of high-energy collisions, and their detection can provide valuable information about the nature of the collision.

2. How is the percentage of neutral pions created calculated?

The percentage of neutral pions created is calculated by dividing the number of neutral pions produced in a collision by the total number of pions produced (neutral and charged). This gives the fraction of pions that are neutral, which can then be expressed as a percentage.

3. What factors can affect the percentage of neutral pions created?

The percentage of neutral pions created can be affected by the energy of the collision, the types of particles involved, and the angle at which the particles collide. Additionally, the presence of external fields or other particles in the collision can also impact the production of neutral pions.

4. Why is the study of neutral pions important in particle physics?

Neutral pions are important in particle physics because they are a common decay product in high-energy collisions and their detection can provide useful information about the underlying particles and forces involved. They also have a short lifetime, which allows for the study of their decay and the confirmation of theoretical models.

5. How is the percentage of neutral pions created used in experimental research?

The percentage of neutral pions created is often used as a benchmark for the success of a particular experiment or particle accelerator. By comparing the percentage of neutral pions created in different collisions, scientists can evaluate the effectiveness of different methods and technologies in producing high-energy collisions and identifying the resulting particles.