What is the Velocity Ratio in an Elastic Collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about an object making an elastic head-on collision with another object at rest. The question asks for the velocity of the incident object after the collision in multiples of its initial velocity, given the ratio of incident mass over target mass. The conversation provides equations and explains the approach to solving the problem by setting up equations and substituting variables. The final answer is .6956 times the initial velocity for the target object, and .3044 times the initial velocity for the incident object.
lookitzcathy
Okay, so my homework question is:

5) An object makes an elastic head-on collision with another "target" object which is initially at rest. If the ratio of incident mass over target mass is 0.5333, what is the velocity of the incident object after the collision in multiples of its incident velocity? Give the result with the appropriate sign taking the incident velocity as positive.

Would any of ya'll be kind enough to help me solve this problem?! Thanks a bunches. :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
lookitzcathy said:
Okay, so my homework question is:

5) An object makes an elastic head-on collision with another "target" object which is initially at rest. If the ratio of incident mass over target mass is 0.5333, what is the velocity of the incident object after the collision in multiples of its incident velocity? Give the result with the appropriate sign taking the incident velocity as positive.

Use the fact that in an elastic collision the relative speeds are the same before and after the collision (speed of approach = speed of separation after collision).

[tex]m_1v_{1i} = m_1v_{1f} + \frac{m_1}{.5333}v_{2f}[/tex]

and:

[tex]v_{1i} - 0 = v_{1f} - v_{2f}[/tex]

Two equations and two variables should be all you need to express an answer in terms of [itex]v_{1i}[/itex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Use the fact that in an elastic collision the relative speeds are the same before and after the collision (speed of approach = speed of separation after collision).

[tex]m_1v_{1i} = m_1v_{1f} + \frac{m_1}{.5333}v_{2f}[/tex]

and:

[tex]v_{1i} - 0 = v_{1f} - v_{2f}[/tex]

Two equations and two variables should be all you need to express an answer in terms of [itex]v_{1i}[/itex]

AM

hey... yea, i got that equation too... but I'm still unsure of how i will be able to find the velocity by just knowing the "ratio" of the incident mass over target mass. :confused: sigh*

lookitzcathy said:
hey... yea, i got that equation too... but I'm still unsure of how i will be able to find the velocity by just knowing the "ratio" of the incident mass over target mass. :confused: sigh*

(1)[tex]m_1v_{1i} = m_1v_{1f} + \frac{m_1}{.5333}v_{2f}[/tex]

and:

(2)[tex]v_{1i} - 0 = -(v_{1f} - v_{2f})[/tex] (I forgot the minus sign before)

Substitute expression for v1f from (2) into (1):

[tex]m_1v_{1i} = m_1(v_{2f} - v_{1i} + \frac{1}{.5333}v_{2f})[/tex]

[tex]2m_1v_{1i} = m_1v_{2f}(1 + \frac{1}{.5333})[/tex]

[tex]v_{2f} = v_{1i}\frac{1.0666}{1.5333} = .6956v_{1i}[/tex]

from (2):

[tex]v_{1f} = (1 - .6956)v_{1i} = .3044v_{1i}[/tex]

AM

o wow i got it... thank you so much!

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total energy of the system before and after the collision remains constant.

2. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which there is a loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total energy of the system after the collision is less than the total energy before the collision. In contrast, an elastic collision is a type of collision in which there is no loss of kinetic energy.

3. What are the equations used to solve elastic collision problems?

The equations used to solve elastic collision problems are the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, and the conservation of energy equation, which states that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

4. What are the key assumptions made in solving elastic collision problems?

The key assumptions made in solving elastic collision problems are that the objects involved are point masses, there is no external force acting on the system, and the collision is a two-body collision.

5. How can elastic collisions be applied in real-world situations?

Elastic collisions can be applied in real-world situations such as billiards, where the balls collide with each other and bounce off without losing any kinetic energy. They are also used in the design of car airbags, which are designed to absorb and distribute the kinetic energy of a collision without causing harm to the passengers.