Recommended Semiconductor Optics Textbook

In summary, this book is great for people who are already familiar with calculus and basic physics, but the problems at the end of each chapter might be too difficult for people who are just starting out.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly recommend

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Lightly recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't recommend

• Strongly don't recommend

• Total voters
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
by Joao Magueijo

This is a very readable book which I would recommend to students of physics in general. The first half of the book is devoted to a rather good explanation of the current understanding of the speed of light, Special and General Relativity. His explanations compete with any other coffee table physics book for clarity and humor. He does an excellent job of covering the difficulties in the current theories and the efforts being made to reconcile theories with observation.

In the 2nd half of the book he tells the story of his attempts to develop an alternative theory for the early expansion of the universe. While he does not present mathematical details he does give some clues involving the effects of a [tex] \frac c {\dot c} [/tex] term.

A significant portion of the story involves his railing against the juried journal system and academic bureaucracy in general. This does become a bit tiresome but does provide some humor.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I am currently working on an optics project, were one of the objectives is to find the eigenmodes for the E field in an infinite, normal step index fiber.

We are using the weak guiding approximation an are thus solving the helmholtz equation.
From what I've been able to grasp we are finding so called LP modes, that are really combinations of more basic modes that aren't linearly polarized (solutions to the full vectorial problem).

Our advisor has only given os very superficial lecture notes - and I have never had a course in optics - so I don't really feel I completely understand what we are doing.

Therefore I'd like to know if anyone knows a good book with a thorough description of the topic?

Mikkel

Hello everyone,
thank you for clicking the link and listen to my words.

I am a year 2(and would be year 3) Electronic Engineering undergraduate,
being interested in optoelectronic and would like to go deeper inside.
What amused me is the possibility of integrating optical communication into the microscopic world, say, can we replace the electrical connection on a PCB by the optical stuff? How about using the all optical logic gates to implement a computer?
Sorry if I am raising some questions that maybe silly, but that's what I want to know more.

Before I would take the final year I have got a chance of having a year of workstudy, and I am deferring my university study for a year.

In view of this, besides the work from the job, I don't want to waste my leisure time that, I would like to learn some knowledge and prepare myself a bit for the later study in optics.

I have just taken a simple course called "Introduction to Optical Communication" and learned about dispersion, attenuation, simple optical transmitter, sensor, amplifiers something. And I don't have a very good base of Mathematics, which I worry could be an obstacle to my further study.

Therefore I am taking the opportunity of workstudy to enhance my basic skill for my study, would you mind suggesting me some books about optics, especially microscopic; or books teaching Mathematics or Physics that you think needed for optoelectronic? I have found some books talking about Silicon Photonics and Nonlinear Optics, how should I start my study?

Thank you very much for your kind attention.

I'm looking for a good semiconductor optics textbook. I have Klingshirn's text, which has problems, but no solutions. As I'm using the textbook outside of university, I need solutions to problems, since I won't know if I'm right or wrong otherwise. I've also looked into Semiconductor Optics and Transport Phenomena by Schafer, but as far as I know this only has problem "hints" and no solutions. I was also unable to find a solution manual for this text.

If anyone knows of a good semiconductor optics book with problems AND solutions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Contents (from 3rd edition)

Part 1

• Nature of Light
  • Geometrical Optics
  • Optical Instrumentation
  • Wave Equations
  • Superposition of Waves
  • Properties of Lasers
  • Interference of Light
  • Optical Interferometry
  • Coherence
  • Fiber Optics
  • Fraunhofer Diffraction
  • The Diffraction Grating
  • Fresnel Diffraction
  • Matrix Treatment of Polarization
  • Production of Polarized Light

Part 2

• Holography
  • Optical Detectors and Displays
  • Matrix Methods in Paraxial Optics
  • Optics of the Eye
  • Aberration Theory
  • Fourier Optics
  • Theory of Multilayer Films
  • Fresnel Equations
  • Nonlinear Optics and the Modulation of Light
  • Optical Properties of Materials
  • Laser Operation
  • Characteristics of Laser Beams
  • Selected Modern Applications

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. I am currently reading Nonlinear Optics by Boyd.

Most part of the book is great and easy to understand, but the problems seem to be difficult for me, and I could not find solutions to the problems. Though I could post some problems here, there are too many problems I could not solve. It would not be realistic to post all of them.

I believe that solving enough problems is necessary, so I am trying to find another exercise book with solutions, instead.

Thanks!

What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has properties in between those of a conductor and an insulator. It has the ability to conduct electricity, but only under certain conditions. Common examples of semiconductors include silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide.

Why is understanding semiconductor optics important?

Semiconductor optics is important because it is the foundation of many modern technologies, such as solar cells, LED lights, and computer chips. Understanding how light interacts with semiconductors is crucial in developing and improving these technologies.

What topics should a recommended semiconductor optics textbook cover?

A recommended semiconductor optics textbook should cover topics such as the basics of semiconductors, band theory, optical properties of semiconductors, light-matter interactions, and applications of semiconductor optics in various fields.

What are some popular textbooks on semiconductor optics?

Some popular textbooks on semiconductor optics include "Semiconductor Optics" by Claus F. Klingshirn, "Introduction to Semiconductor Optics" by Prasanta K. Basu, and "Semiconductor Optics and Transport Phenomena" by Mark Fox.

How can I use a recommended semiconductor optics textbook to further my research?

A recommended semiconductor optics textbook can serve as a valuable resource for understanding the fundamentals of semiconductor optics and its applications. It can also provide a comprehensive overview of current research and advancements in the field, which can help guide and inspire your own research projects.