What if you try to suicide while pregnant?

• Thread starter lockecole
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of whether or not a pregnant woman who attempts suicide should be judged guilty for trying to kill the baby. The group concluded that instead of judgement and punishment, the mother needs help if she is suicidal while pregnant. It was mentioned that pregnant women are at a lower risk for suicide, but the risk may increase after the baby is born. The conversation also touched on the topic of abortion and how it could potentially be seen as a murder attempt against the fetus. The group also brought up the issue of domestic abuse and how it affects pregnant women. There was some discussion about whether or not a pregnant suicide attempt could be charged with attempted murder, with the consensus being that it is unlikely
lockecole
If you do not succeed, would it be right to be judged guilty for trying to kill the baby? Why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting topic :smile: I am pregnant myself.

According to the following link, a study concluded that women were at much lower risk for suicide while pregnant then those who were not. I would imagine that the risk would significanly increase once the baby is born (post-partum depression can be ugly). What the mother needs if she is suicidal while pregnant is help, not judgement and punishment.

Lower risk of suicide during pregnancy

Maybe they would be just trying to beat the murderer to the punch? Since the number one cause of death in pregnant women is murder.

Under current law, people are tried for murdering viable fetuses, as long as they are in someone else. I don't know about women who are carrying them, since the option of abortion is available to women, at least in early pregnancy.

It would seem just another step to limit the rights of women, if that were legislated to be a murder attempt. I just watched The Sea Inside, which deals with assisted suicide for terminally ill or hopelessly incapacitated individuals, who wish for death.

Mentally ill women, get pregnant all the time, it isn't against the law to be mentally ill, or pregnant if you are. It isn't against the law to be suicidal, only if you are successful. That is kind of like legislating against rain on Sunday.

Dayle Record said:
Maybe they would be just trying to beat the murderer to the punch? Since the number one cause of death in pregnant women is murder.

While this is a true fact, the actual numbers of pregnant women dying from murder is really low compared to the number of unpregnant women murdered. The recent deaths of pregnant women-Laci P., Lori H., Bobbie Jo S. and the most heartbreaking to me, Lisa Underwood and her son Jayden have made huge media headlines lately. This has prompted more of an awareness of domestic abuse that so many are unaware of.

Haven't found anything on the books regarding whether or not a pregant suicide attempt can be charged with attempted murder (though I highly doubt it).

Last edited by a moderator:
loseyourname said:
Haven't found anything on the books regarding whether or not a pregant suicide attempt can be charged with attempted murder (though I highly doubt it).

That would vary depending on what the views of people interpreting/making the law are towards the fetus (that sticky pro life/pro choice subject).

I highly doubt it also, for the reason that whatever the view of the law makers is towards the fetus/baby they'd at least (I hope) determine that the person attemting the suicide needs some kind of intervention/help not punishment.

usualy when you attempt suicide anyway you arent sent to court, unless your trying to say you arent insane

What are the potential risks to the mother and fetus if a pregnant woman attempts suicide?

The potential risks to the mother and fetus if a pregnant woman attempts suicide include physical injury or death to both the mother and fetus. Suicide attempts may also result in severe emotional and psychological distress for the mother, which can impact the health and development of the fetus.

Are pregnant women at a higher risk for suicidal thoughts and behaviors?

Research suggests that pregnant women may be at a higher risk for suicidal thoughts and behaviors due to hormonal changes, physical discomfort, and emotional stress. It is important for pregnant women to seek support and treatment if they are experiencing suicidal thoughts.

What are some warning signs of suicidal thoughts in pregnant women?

Warning signs of suicidal thoughts in pregnant women may include changes in mood, increased feelings of hopelessness or despair, withdrawal from social activities, and changes in behavior such as giving away possessions or making final arrangements.

What should a pregnant woman do if she is experiencing suicidal thoughts?

If a pregnant woman is experiencing suicidal thoughts, it is important for her to seek immediate help from a mental health professional or crisis hotline. She should also inform her healthcare provider so that they can provide appropriate support and treatment.

Can pregnancy hormones contribute to suicidal thoughts and behaviors?

While there is not enough research to definitively link pregnancy hormones to suicidal thoughts and behaviors, hormonal changes during pregnancy can impact a person's mood and emotional well-being, which may contribute to suicidal thoughts and behaviors. It is important for pregnant women to seek support and treatment if they are experiencing these symptoms.