Total Load in PSI on Each Leg/Foot

• Thread starter RWS000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Psi
Pressure, on the other hand, is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi). In order to find the total load in psi on each leg/foot, we need to first convert the torque to force, and then divide by the area of each support. This will give us the total load in psi on each leg/foot. In summary, to find the total load in psi on each leg/foot, we need to convert the torque to force and then divide by the area of each support.
RWS000
please see attachment FEET PSI. I am looking for the total load in psi on each leg/foot.
thanks very much

Attachments

• FEET PSI 001.jpg
    FEET PSI 001.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
RWS000 said:
please see attachment FEET PSI. I am looking for the total load in psi on each leg/foot.
thanks very much

You are required to try it yourself first, and to report on the work you have done so far on the problem.

Work I've done

Ray,
Thanks for your reply to my post.

Note: The magnitude of a torque is equal to the magnitude of the applied load multiplied by the distance between the objects axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied.
Thickness of base plate is 3/4".

Therefor: 450 ft/lbs x .0625 ft = 28.125 lbs
28.125 lbs divided by 3 supports = 9.375 lbs per support (3).
9.375 lbs divided by .11039 sq inches per support = 84.93 psi on each support.

I remain,
Roger

One problem with your calculation is that torque is measured in units of feet times pounds, or ft-lbs.

1. What is total load in PSI on each leg/foot?

Total load in PSI on each leg/foot refers to the amount of pressure or force that is exerted on each leg or foot. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (PSI) and can vary depending on factors such as body weight, activity level, and footwear.

2. Why is it important to know the total load in PSI on each leg/foot?

Knowing the total load in PSI on each leg/foot is important for understanding the stress and strain that is placed on our lower extremities. This information can help us prevent injury, choose appropriate footwear, and make necessary adjustments to our activities.

3. How is total load in PSI on each leg/foot measured?

Total load in PSI on each leg/foot can be measured using specialized equipment such as force plates or pressure sensors. These devices are placed under the feet and can provide accurate measurements of the pressure and force exerted by each leg/foot.

4. What are some factors that can affect the total load in PSI on each leg/foot?

Some factors that can affect the total load in PSI on each leg/foot include body weight, activity level, footwear, and foot structure. Other factors such as surface type and slope may also play a role in the load distribution on each leg/foot.

5. How can I reduce the total load in PSI on each leg/foot?

To reduce the total load in PSI on each leg/foot, it is important to maintain a healthy body weight, wear appropriate footwear, and engage in low-impact activities. Making sure to stretch and strengthen the muscles in the legs and feet can also help distribute the load more evenly and reduce the risk of injury.