Quick help needed on a simple problem (not simple4me)

• Thread starter mathzeroh
  • Start date
In summary, the problem was solved by substituting {x = z2} and solving the resulting quadratic equation with "x" for the variable (for the first step). Can you see what to do after that??
mathzeroh
quick help needed on a "simple" problem (not simple4me)

hey everyone i hope ur all doing great! ok tomorrows my math final and i have a slight dilemma on the review sheet and i would appreciate it a lot if someone helped me with it!

here it is:

[tex]z^4+75=28z^2[/tex]

ok so i first brought the 75 to the other side which gave me:

[tex]z^4=28z^2-75[/tex]

and now I am stuck! i don't know if i should go back and rewrite z^4 as [tex]z^2z^2[/tex] or what??

any help is appreciated! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Make the substitution {x = z2} and solve the resulting quadratic equation with "x" for the variable (for the first step). Can you see what to do after that??

~~

Last edited:
xanthym said:
Hint: Make the substitution {x = z2} and solve the resulting quadratic equation with "x" for the variable (for the first step). Can you see what to do after that??

~~

let me try and see if i understood what u meant! i'll be back in a bit! thanks btw

ok so i took ur advice and if i understood it correctly this is what i did with it, however i checked my answer and it didn't check...

[tex]z^4+75=28z^2[/tex]
[tex]z^4+75=28x; x=z^2[/tex]
[tex]z^4=28x-75[/tex]
[tex]x^2=28x-75, x=z^2[/tex] so [tex]x^2=z^4[/tex]
[tex]x^2-28x-75=0[/tex]

then i plugged this into the quadtratic and got this:

[tex]x=14\pm\sqrt{271}[/tex]

so i got this approx.:

[tex]x\approx30.460[/tex]​
OR
[tex]x\approx-2.460[/tex]​

but those answers don't work though... ??

Should that really be [itex]x^2 - 28x - 75 =0[/itex]? I like positive [itex]75[/itex]s more...

but does that make a difference when it comes to the quadtratic formula?

mathzeroh said:
but does that make a difference when it comes to the quadtratic formula?
YES! The correct equation is given below. Can you see how to factor it??
(Or you can also use the quadratic formula.)
x2 - 28*x + 75 = 0

~~

Last edited:
holy crap ur right! when i brought the 28x over, i should've ADDED a negative -75 to both sides, which would make it +75 yep ur right!

brb! :) :)

x = 25 OR x = 3

is that right?

CORRECT!
Remember, solving the equation in "x" is just the first step. You then must place the "x" solutions back into your original {x = z2} substitution equation and solve for "z" (for both "x" solutions).
x2 - 28*x + 75 = 0

~~

Last edited:
yea i went back and did that but it wasn't that obvious for me at first :D

ok so in the solution of x=3, since z^2=x, that means that z=the square root of x, or in this case, the square root of 3.

and i plugged that value in the original formula of z^4+75=28z^2 and it worked.

and i did the same thing for the other value of x, which was 25 and did the same thing!

so basically, z=/sqrt(3) or z=5 (because the sqrt of 25=5)

thanks a lot man!

p.s. both of those are plus or minus btw!

1. How can I quickly solve a simple problem as a non-scientist?

As a scientist, I recommend breaking down the problem into smaller steps and identifying the key variables. Then, use your scientific knowledge and analytical skills to approach the problem systematically. Additionally, you can consult with other experts or do research to find potential solutions.

2. Can you provide an example of a simple problem that requires scientific help?

Sure, a common simple problem that may require scientific help is troubleshooting a malfunctioning electronic device. Scientists can use their knowledge of circuits and electricity to identify the issue and propose a solution.

3. How do I know if a problem is too complex for me to solve on my own?

If a problem seems overwhelming or beyond your expertise, it may be best to consult with a scientist or expert in the field. They can provide valuable insights and help you approach the problem in a more systematic and effective way.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to solve simple problems?

Some common mistakes include overlooking important details, not fully understanding the problem, and jumping to conclusions without proper analysis. It's important to approach every problem with a clear and open mind, and to carefully consider all factors before making a decision.

5. Is there a specific method or approach scientists use to solve problems?

Scientists often use the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments or gathering data, analyzing the results, and drawing a conclusion. However, different problems may require different approaches, and scientists may also use their creativity and critical thinking skills to come up with unique solutions.