Derivation of Power Series

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to write a derivation of the cosine power series. The original poster asks for a shorter and faster method, to which another user suggests using Euler's identity and the Taylor series for e^x. This involves substituting x = i \theta and using the real part of e^{i \theta} to find the series for cos(x). The original poster also mentions starting with the Taylor series for sin(x) and manipulating it to find the series for cos(x).
bomba923
How do I write a derivation of the cosine power series?

(I understand and can derive it, but it takes much space and is disjointed! :grumpy: ; how do you write the shortest and fastest derivation for it--briefly and fluently??)

Attachments

• powerseries.gif
    powerseries.gif
    563 bytes · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you not attach the answer to your question?

I believe he means whether there was a faster way to come up with a power series than equating derivatives.

I do not believe there is...

You can define it as the derivative of the power series for sin(x). Thats the shortest derivation of cosin, but then you'd have to define sin :)

Of course, that would be much faster--->just differentiate the sum formula for sin(x).
But suppose we can't do that!-->what would be another fast way to derive cos(x)?

Currently I start with cos(x), and then explain that as a Taylor series, cos(x-a) in this case is really the McLaurin series for cos (x), where a=0.
Then, I write cos(x) = [tex] c_0 + c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + c_3 x^3 +... [/tex]
Next, I express each derivative of cos (x) as the same series, except I reduce the powers of x and subunits of the constants appropriately.
Then, I substitute x=0 (b/c it is McLaurin) and express each derivative of cos(0) as the constant "c" with the appropriate subunits.
Next, I show that the odd derivatives of cos(0) are zero, and explain why the sum formula includes [tex] (-1)^n [/tex] and [tex] x^{2n} [/tex]
Then, I show why, as a power series, the factorial (2n)! is needed in the denominator so that the terms will match the derivatives when multiplied out.

Finally, I write the formula (I wish I knew LaTex...better!) as [tex] cos(x) = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\left( {-1} \right)^n x^{2n} }}{{\left( {2n} \right)!}}} [/tex]

My question is: HOW to constrict/shorten this procedure??
Are there parts here I can connect or skip??

Last edited:
maybe the squareroot algorithm

Do you know Euler's identity,

[tex] e^{i\theta} = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta[/tex]

?

If so, the Taylor series for [itex]e^x[/itex] is obviously really easy to derive. Just substitute in [itex]x = i \theta[/itex], and note that

[tex] \cos \theta = \mbox{Re} \left[ e^{i \theta} \right] = \frac{ e^{i \theta} + e^{-i \theta}}{2}[/tex]

from which you can just take the series for each of those and add them.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0^∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn are coefficients, a is a fixed point, and x is a variable. It is a way to represent a function as an infinite polynomial.

2. How is a power series derived?

A power series is derived by starting with a function and finding its coefficients cn using the formula cn = f(n)(a)/n!, where f(n)(a) is the nth derivative of the function evaluated at the point a. These coefficients are then plugged into the power series formula to create the series.

3. What is the importance of power series in mathematics?

Power series are important in mathematics because they allow for the approximation of functions that are otherwise difficult to work with. They also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

4. How do you determine the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series depends on the value of x. If x is within a certain range, the series will converge and the function can be approximated. This range is determined by the ratio test, root test, or comparison test.

5. Can a power series represent any function?

No, a power series can only represent functions that are infinitely differentiable within a certain range. Additionally, some functions may have a different representation in the form of a power series, such as a Taylor series or a Laurent series.