Find the voltage potential and potential difference

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential at a point P(-1,1,2) due to three point charges Q1=1 mC, Q2=-2 mC, and Q3=3 mC located at (0,0,4), (-2,5,1), and (3,-4,6) respectively. Using the equations V=KQ/r and V=V1+V2+V3, the potential at P is calculated to be -685933.286 Volts. However, it is important to ensure that units are consistent and that the final answer has an appropriate number of significant figures.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Three point charges Q1=1 mC, Q2=-2 mC, and Q3=3 mC are, respectively located at (0,0,4), (-2,5,1), and (3,-4,6)
(a) Find the potential Vp at P(-1,1,2);
(b) Calculate the potential difference Vpq if Q is (1,2,3)

Homework Equations

V=KQ/r
V=V1+V2+V3

The Attempt at a Solution

Uploaded

Attachments

• EPSON030.jpg
    EPSON030.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 776
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first line in part b) is correct, but the rest needs some re-thinking. You found the potential at P no problem, so why not do the same procedure for Q and then subtract the two, as you wrote down?

Ok I redid it I get -685933.286 Volts

Is my answer ok? Not trying to rush you I'm just wondering if it is ok?

In general, I try to avoid telling people whether their numerical answers are correct. This is mainly because if I make the same calculator mistake you do, and tell you the answer is right, I'll feel super guilty when it comes back with red ink and you yell at me for misleading you ^^;

If you follow the discussion on the physics that we talked about, any reasonable physics teacher should give you most if not all credit for doing the proper thinking. Make sure your units match up and you are doing everything in SI to correspond with your value for the k constant, and you should be good to go (you don't mention the units for the distance in your paper, so assuming meters, the order of magnitude looks ok).

Likes 1 person
... also final results (for presentation as such) should have a reasonable number of significant figures, corresponding to those of the given data and any constants employed.

ok thanks guys

1. What is voltage potential?

Voltage potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in an electric field. It is often referred to as voltage or electric potential difference and is measured in volts (V).

2. How do you calculate voltage potential?

Voltage potential can be calculated by dividing the work done in moving a charge from one point to another by the amount of charge. This can be represented by the equation V = W/Q, where V is the voltage potential, W is the work done, and Q is the amount of charge.

3. What is potential difference?

Potential difference is the difference in voltage potential between two points in an electric field. It is the measure of the change in electric potential energy per unit charge between those two points and is also measured in volts (V).

4. How do you find the potential difference in a circuit?

To find the potential difference in a circuit, you can use the equation V = IR, where V is the potential difference, I is the current, and R is the resistance. You can also use a voltmeter to directly measure the potential difference between two points in the circuit.

5. What is the unit of measurement for voltage potential and potential difference?

The unit of measurement for both voltage potential and potential difference is volts (V). This unit is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who first discovered the concept of electric potential in the late 18th century.