3d printing with Polylactic acid, adhesion to print bed

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of getting the first layer to stick to the bed when using Polylactic acid (PLA) as a raw material for plastic extrusion 3d printers. Some methods that have been tried include using a heated smooth glass bed, glass with a layer of blue printer's tape, and applying hairspray before printing. While hairspray has been found to be effective, it can also be messy. The speaker suggests using a thin layer of Staples (blue) Glue stick as a more permanent and attractive solution for PLA.
rcq090
Polylactic acid (PLA) is a very popular raw material used for plastic extrusion 3d printers. Myself and many others in the 3d printing community have have experienced difficulty getting the the first layer to stick to the bed.

I have tried a couple things so far
1) Heated smooth glass bed, Pros: pretty, Cons: doesn't stick
2) Glass with layer of blue printers tape, Pros: works ok, Cons: bad for small geometry like small circles or letters, ugly
3) Hairspray before print, Pros: works great, Cons: hairspray gets on other parts

Is there some material that is a more permanent solution than hairspray? Maybe some kind glue that when dry will be attractive to PLA?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi!

Staples (blue) Glue stick works good for me. Just a thin layer works excellent.

1. How does Polylactic acid (PLA) adhere to a print bed during 3D printing?

PLA adheres to a print bed through a combination of factors, including the material's surface tension, the temperature of the bed, and the type of surface the bed is made of. PLA has a low glass transition temperature, which means it becomes soft and malleable at relatively low temperatures. When heated, PLA will slightly deform and then solidify as it cools, creating a strong bond with the print bed.

2. What is the best type of print bed surface for PLA?

The best type of print bed surface for PLA is one that is slightly rough and has a low thermal conductivity. This allows for better adhesion and prevents the PLA from cooling too quickly, which can cause warping or detachment from the bed. Some common types of print bed surfaces for PLA include glass with a layer of hairspray or glue stick, an adhesive-backed polyimide sheet, or a specially designed PLA print bed sticker.

3. How can I improve adhesion between PLA and the print bed?

There are a few methods that can help improve adhesion between PLA and the print bed. One is to increase the bed temperature, as this will soften the PLA and help it bond more securely. Another method is to use a brim or raft when printing, which creates a larger surface area for the PLA to adhere to. Additionally, using a bed adhesive such as hairspray or glue stick can also improve adhesion.

4. What should I do if my PLA print keeps detaching from the bed?

If your PLA print keeps detaching from the bed, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure your print bed is clean and free of any debris or residue. Next, check the bed temperature and make sure it is at the recommended temperature for PLA. If necessary, you can also try using a bed adhesive or increasing the bed temperature slightly. Additionally, using a brim or raft can also help improve adhesion.

5. Can I reuse a PLA print bed sticker?

Yes, PLA print bed stickers can typically be reused multiple times before needing to be replaced. However, it is important to regularly clean the sticker and make sure there is no residue or build-up that could affect adhesion. Additionally, the sticker may need to be replaced if it becomes too damaged or worn out from repeated use.