Pros and cons for a new career path

In summary, the speaker has shared their background and current dilemma regarding their education and career path. They are considering returning to school for a degree in engineering, but are unsure whether to pursue a two-year program or a four-year program. They are also concerned about competing with younger individuals in the job market. The speaker is seeking personal experiences and insights from others. Another speaker has recommended focusing on an internship and networking to increase career opportunities. The original speaker has decided to pursue the full engineering degree and is working on reducing expenses to make it possible. Age bias may be a concern, so the importance of an internship is emphasized.
TJinSC
Hi everyone. A little background on me. I'm just shy of my 42nd birthday with only about a semester of college courses under my belt, and that was just the starter classes thru the University of Phoenix. Way back in high school math and science were my favorite classes up until a bad experience with a move kept me from continuing with my advanced bio. Fast forward I found a decent paying job after graduation and after 20 years I'm no better off than when I was 20.

Now I'm wanting to get back to what I loved back then. Our community college offers two different programs of study. First being an engineering transfer that would take a big bite out of the price of the first two years vs the four year university. Second is a career focused two year degree in electronics technology.

Having to go to school part time I'm looking at at least twice the time to complete. If I go the two year way I'm thinking I can get a job in the industry and go back to finish the engineering courses. Downside is that most of the courses in the career program don't match the transfer and I'm left with another year in the community college before transfer. Staying in school for the EE degree will put me nearly or over 50 years old before I can start competing for jobs against 20 something's.

Anybody's personal experience would be very welcomed. Along with any insight to other things I may be missing. Thank you in advance,

Tj

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any value in a community college electronics technology degree or certificate. My local community colleges have the same thing and they are abysmal. Less than 10% completion rate and only one or two job openings in the state every year. There really isn't much need for low skilled electronics technicians.

I'm also at a community college taking pre-reqs for an engineering degree, looking to compete with people half my age when I graduate. One of the best parts of an engineering degree is the internship. To succeed in EE I think you have to give up the idea of going part time. You need to be available more than full time to do your internship, get the most out of your studies and connect/network with your fellow students and professors. Without that I suspect you will have few career options after getting your BSEE.

Maybe/hopefully by the time I complete my community college studies I can focus full time. I've been working hard at getting my expenses down to take that stress off me. I've pretty much decided to go for the full degree, I won't be happy settling for anything less. Thanks for the input and good luck with your studies and career.

You may have some problems with age bias so I cannot stress the importance of an internship enough. Get out there and get to know your potential employers!

1. What are the potential benefits of pursuing a new career path?

Some of the potential benefits of pursuing a new career path include the opportunity for personal and professional growth, the chance to learn new skills and expand your knowledge, and the potential for higher job satisfaction and fulfillment.

2. What are some potential drawbacks of changing career paths?

Some potential drawbacks of changing career paths may include the need for additional education or training, the possibility of a lower starting salary, and the potential for a period of adjustment as you adapt to a new work environment and responsibilities.

3. How can I determine if a new career path is the right choice for me?

It is important to carefully consider your interests, strengths, and values when evaluating a potential new career path. You may also benefit from talking to individuals who work in the field you are considering, and gaining firsthand experience through internships or job shadowing.

4. Are there any risks associated with pursuing a new career path?

As with any major life decision, there are always risks involved in pursuing a new career path. These may include financial risks, such as taking on student loans for additional education, as well as the potential for job instability during the transition period.

5. How can I make a smooth transition into a new career path?

To make a smooth transition into a new career path, it is important to have a well-thought-out plan in place. This may include setting realistic goals, networking and building connections in your desired field, and being open to learning and adapting to new challenges and opportunities.