When is the best time to start a job hunt after obtaining a PhD?

• Thread starter maverick_starstrider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Phd
In summary, the conversation discusses the ideal time to start a job hunt after completing a PhD. The individual who started their job hunt 10 months early found that most companies were looking for someone to start in January or as soon as possible. However, they do not want to leave themselves with only a few months to find a job. They are seeking advice on when to start the job hunt without accepting a less than ideal job or waiting too long. The conversation also mentions the postdoc process and the option of staying with an advisor until a job is found or delaying the submission of the thesis for funding purposes.
maverick_starstrider
Hi All,

I was wondering when those of you out there in industry felt was a good time to start a job hunt after ones PhD. I myself started about 10 months early and found that the vast majority of jobs would tell me that they were looking for someone to start in January or "as soon as possible". Yet there is no way I want to leave myself only a few months to hunt. Any advice? I don't want to accept a less than ideal job earlier and find out there were a ton of jobs only a few months later but I also don't want to leave it too late.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm curious about this for postdoc, too. I always assumed it was a year early (like grad school).

I'd assume in industry it can vary greatly depending on each company's long-term goals and short-term surprises.

I have heard of phd advisors taking his/her students on as postdocs after the phd until they find a job. You also have the option of not handing in your thesis for your degree until you find a job if your advisor is willing to fund you during this time.

Last edited:

1. When should I start looking for jobs during my PhD program?

The best time to start looking for jobs during your PhD program is during your final year. This will give you enough time to complete your dissertation and also have ample time to search for and apply to job opportunities.

2. What factors should I consider when deciding when to start my job hunt?

There are several factors to consider when deciding when to start your job hunt. These include your progress in your PhD program, your timeline for completing your dissertation, your desired industry or field, and the current job market.

3. Is it recommended to start looking for jobs before completing my PhD?

It is not recommended to start looking for jobs before completing your PhD. Employers typically prefer candidates who have completed their degree, and having a completed PhD can also give you a competitive edge in the job market.

4. Should I focus on academic or non-academic job opportunities?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in pursuing a career in academia, then it is recommended to focus on academic job opportunities. However, if you are open to non-academic positions, then it is worth exploring both options.

5. How can I balance my job hunt with my PhD program?

Balancing your job hunt with your PhD program can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize your studies first. Set aside dedicated time for job searching and make use of resources such as career services at your institution. It may also be helpful to discuss your job hunt plans with your advisor to ensure it does not interfere with your research progress.