Do physics careers involve computers a lot?

In summary, the speaker is a self-proclaimed nerd who spends most of their free time on their computer. They are considering a career in physics or chemistry, but are concerned about the amount of time they would spend in front of a screen. The conversation discusses the potential for technology to impact future careers in these fields and mentions the likelihood of using software for calculations, simulations, data analysis, and other tasks. The speaker, having experience in experimental physics, notes that a significant amount of time is spent in front of a computer in this field. However, they mention the possibility of advancements in technology allowing for more flexibility in terms of where and how work is done.
dgm
I'm a huge nerd, and I spend ~90% of my free time doing something on my PC, whether it's playing video games, browsing/posting on forums, playing with video editing software, messing around with various programming languages, you name it.

So, I kind of want to factor that into my career direction. I was thinking of going into physics or chemistry, but I was wondering, does work in those sciences tend to involve a lot of computer stuff, in this day and age? I just don't want to wind up spending my whole life sitting in front of a screen.

Physics news on Phys.org
Numerical physics/chemistry will likely mean 90-95% of the time in front of the screen. Experimental physics/chemistry can involve as little as 30% of the time in front of the screen at the beginning of your career and close to 90% of the time in front of the screen later on.

Today - yes.

It's hard to imaging exactly what a career for someone will look like who is just starting out now. Some things are fairly certain. As a physical scientist, you will no doubt use some kind of software to assist you with calculations, conduct simulations, analyse results, write up papers, create presentations, etc.

But whether that means a career at a desk sitting in front of a keyboard and screen for someone starting out now may be up for debate. There is a movement towards cloud data storage and even having software online. So you already have the ability to do complex calculation work so long as you have some kind of a device for accessing data and software. Today that includes tablets and cell phones. I can imagine a decade from now that's going to be done through interfaces like "Google Glass 2024."

In principle, there's no reason why you won't be able to review a paper while hiking through the mountains, or write simulation code at a coffee shop.

Most of my time spent as an experiment physicist was in front of a computer. Either running the experiment (via computer), analyzing data, writing talks, writing articles, or running simulation codes. Then factor in all the other crap that happens on computers like purchasing equipment, email, etc., and you figure that most of your time is in front of a computer.

Sure there were some chunks where you worked on hardware a lot, but that tends to happen in defined segments. If you find that distasteful, go into simulation/modeling where pretty much 100% of your time will be computer related.

Yes, physics careers do involve computers a lot. In today's world, almost all scientific research and experiments rely heavily on computer technology, from data collection and analysis to simulations and modeling. The use of computers allows for more accurate and efficient data processing and analysis, which is crucial in the field of physics. Additionally, many physicists use computer programming to develop and test theories and models. So, if you enjoy spending time on your PC and have an interest in physics, pursuing a career in this field would certainly involve a lot of computer work. However, it is important to note that there are also opportunities for hands-on experiments and fieldwork in physics, so you will not be sitting in front of a screen all the time.

1. How are computers used in physics careers?

Computers are used in a variety of ways in physics careers. They are essential for data analysis, simulations, and modeling. Many experiments and research projects also rely on computer programs to collect and analyze large amounts of data. Additionally, computers are used for creating visualizations and graphics to help explain complex concepts.

2. What computer skills are necessary for a physics career?

A strong understanding of programming languages such as Python, C++, and Java is essential for a physics career involving computers. Other important skills include data analysis and visualization tools such as MATLAB and Mathematica, as well as familiarity with computational methods and algorithms.

3. Are there specific fields of physics that heavily rely on computers?

While computers are used in most areas of physics, there are certain fields that heavily rely on them. These include computational physics, astrophysics, and particle physics, where complex simulations and data analysis are integral to the research process.

4. Do physics careers involving computers require a specific degree?

In most cases, a degree in physics or a related field is necessary for a career in physics involving computers. However, some jobs may also require additional education or training in computer science or specific computer programs. It is important to research the specific requirements for the job you are interested in pursuing.

5. Are there opportunities for advancement in physics careers involving computers?

Yes, there are many opportunities for advancement in physics careers involving computers. With experience and additional training, individuals can move into higher-level positions such as lead researchers, project managers, or professors. There are also opportunities to specialize in specific areas, such as data analysis or computer programming, within a physics career.