Solving Finite Series: \sum_{l=0}^{k-1} (r+l)^j (r+l-k)^i

In summary, the conversation discusses a series involving positive integers and the speaker's attempts to express it as a polynomial. They mention their belief that all terms with even exponents will disappear, but provide a counterexample. They also mention trying to use Bernoulli polynomials, but have not found a suitable one. The speaker is open to ideas and insights on how to proceed.
ekkilop
Hi!
I've encountered the series below:

[itex] \sum_{l=0}^{k-1} (r+l)^j (r+l-k)^i [/itex]

where [itex]r, k, i, j[/itex] are positive integers and [itex]i \leq j [/itex].
I am interested in expressing this series as a polynomial in [itex]k[/itex] - or rather - finding the coefficients of that polynomial as [itex]i,j[/itex] changes. I have reasons to believe that all terms with even exponent will vanish though I cannot readily see it from the expression above.

I have made some feeble attempts at expressing this in terms of well known functions. The most promising seems to be in terms of Bernoulli polynomials due to the large number of catalogued identities for these functions, though I haven't found a suitable one;

[itex] \frac{1}{(i+1)(j+1)} \sum_{l=0}^{k-1} [B_{j+1}(r+l+1) - B_{j+1}(r+l)][B_{i+1}(r+l-k+1) - B_{i+1}(r+l-k)] [/itex]

Anyway, I cannot see how to proceed from here.
Any ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ekkilop said:
I have reasons to believe that all terms with even exponent will vanish though I cannot readily see it from the expression above.
I found a counterexample: i=2, j=3, r does not matter. You get k^6 (and maybe k^2, depends on r) as term.
WolframAlpha query

I have no idea how to simplify the sum.

1. What is a finite series?

A finite series is a sequence of numbers that has a specific number of terms. It has a starting point and an ending point, and the terms in between follow a specific pattern.

2. What does the notation ∑(r+l)^j (r+l-k)^i mean?

The notation ∑(r+l)^j (r+l-k)^i is a shorthand way of writing a finite series. The ∑ symbol represents the sum of the terms, while the variables inside the parentheses indicate the pattern of the series. The letter r represents the starting term, l represents the index or position of the term in the series, and j and i represent the exponents used in the pattern.

3. How do you solve a finite series?

To solve a finite series, you need to know the starting term, ending term, and the pattern of the series. You can use various mathematical techniques, such as using a formula or finding the common difference or ratio, to determine the sum of the series. It is also helpful to rewrite the series in a more manageable form, such as using sigma notation.

4. What is the purpose of solving finite series?

The purpose of solving finite series is to find the sum of a sequence of numbers. This can be useful in various real-life situations, such as calculating the total cost of items in a store or determining the final value of an investment with compound interest. It is also important in mathematics for understanding patterns and relationships between numbers.

5. Are there any strategies for solving more complex finite series?

Yes, there are various strategies for solving more complex finite series. Some common techniques include using telescoping series, partial fraction decomposition, and manipulating the series to fit a known formula. It is also helpful to break down the series into smaller, more manageable parts and combine them using known formulas or techniques.