What does \sum\limits_{i\neq j}^N a_i a_j mean in summation notation?

In summary, the notation \sum\limits_{i\neq j}^N a_i a_j represents the sum of all a_{i}a_{j} terms where i does not equal j. This is equivalent to \sum\limits_{i}^N \sum\limits_{j}^N a_i a_j, where j cannot equal i. This notation can be used to represent unions and intersections of sets as well.
SergeantAngle
Hi

I have a textbook which uses the notation:

[itex]\sum\limits_{i\neq j}^N a_i a_j[/itex]

I can't find anywhere what this actually means. Is it equivalent to:

[itex]\sum\limits_{i}^N \sum\limits_{j}^N a_i a_j[/itex]

where j can't equal i?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's just the sum of all ##a_{i}a_{j}## when i does not equal j.

You can put pretty much any condition you want in that space, though I see it abused more often for unions and intersections of sets.

SergeantAngle said:
Hi

I have a textbook which uses the notation:

[itex]\sum\limits_{i\neq j}^N a_i a_j[/itex]

I can't find anywhere what this actually means. Is it equivalent to:

[itex]\sum\limits_{i}^N \sum\limits_{j}^N a_i a_j[/itex]

where j can't equal i?

Thanks.

Yes, pretty much. For example, if N = 3, and both indexes start at 1, then the summation expands to a1a2 + a1a3 + a2a1 + a1a3 + a2a3 + a3a2. The terms that are omitted are a12, a22, and a32.

Okay, thanks.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. The notation \sum\limits_{i\neq j}^N a_i a_j means the sum of all the terms a_i a_j where i and j are not equal, from i=1 to N. This is different from \sum\limits_{i}^N \sum\limits_{j}^N a_i a_j, which would include all possible combinations of a_i and a_j, including cases where i and j are equal. So, in the first notation, you are essentially excluding all terms where i and j are equal.

I hope this clarifies things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Keep up the good work with your studies!

What is summation notation?

Summation notation is a mathematical notation that allows us to represent the sum of a series of numbers or expressions. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (∑) and a variable below it, with a lower and upper limit above and below the sigma respectively. For example, ∑i=1n 2i represents the sum of the first n even numbers.

What is the purpose of using summation notation?

The purpose of using summation notation is to simplify and condense long expressions or series into a more concise and manageable form. It also allows us to easily manipulate and perform operations on these series.

How do you evaluate a summation notation problem?

To evaluate a summation notation problem, we first substitute the lower limit value into the variable and then the upper limit. Next, we perform the operations within the summation, if any, and then add all the resulting values together to get the final answer.

What are some common mistakes when using summation notation?

Some common mistakes when using summation notation include forgetting to include the lower or upper limit, using the wrong variable in the expression, or forgetting to perform the operations within the summation. It is important to double check the limits and variables before evaluating the expression.

What are some real-world applications of summation notation?

Summation notation is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to represent the total or cumulative value of a series. It can also be used to calculate the average, standard deviation, and other statistical measures of a set of data. In computer science, summation notation is used in algorithms to represent the running time or complexity of a program.