Hermitian conjugate of Dirac field bilinear

In summary: So depending on the convention one picks there will be an extra minus sign popping up or not. In summary, the Hermitian conjugate of a Dirac field bilinear is given by taking the transpose of the expression, resulting in a change in the position of the fermion fields. Depending on the convention used, there may be an additional minus sign introduced in the transpose.
phypar
In the standard QFT textbook, the Hermitian conjugate of a Dirac field bilinear
[itex]\bar\psi_1\gamma^\mu \psi_2[/itex] is [itex]\bar\psi_2\gamma^\mu \psi_1[/itex].

Here is the question, why there is not an extra minus sign coming from the anti-symmetry of fermion fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to anti-commute anything. The transposition automatically change the position of the fields:
$$
(\bar \psi_1\gamma_\mu\psi_2)^\dagger=\psi_2^\dagger\gamma_\mu^\dagger \gamma_0\psi_1=\psi_2^\dagger\gamma_0\gamma_\mu\psi_1=\bar \psi_2\gamma_\mu\psi_1
$$

Likes 1 person
This is exactly what i don't understand, so in the transposition there is a change of the postion of the fermions fields, but according to the anti-commutation rule of them, shouldn't there be a minus sign? I know there is something wrong in my understanding, but just cannot figure it out.

Einj said:
You don't need to anti-commute anything. The transposition automatically change the position of the fields:
$$
(\bar \psi_1\gamma_\mu\psi_2)^\dagger=\psi_2^\dagger\gamma_\mu^\dagger \gamma_0\psi_1=\psi_2^\dagger\gamma_0\gamma_\mu\psi_1=\bar \psi_2\gamma_\mu\psi_1
$$

phypar said:
In the standard QFT textbook, the Hermitian conjugate of a Dirac field bilinear
[itex]\bar\psi_1\gamma^\mu \psi_2[/itex] is [itex]\bar\psi_2\gamma^\mu \psi_1[/itex].

Here is the question, why there is not an extra minus sign coming from the anti-symmetry of fermion fields?
There IS an extra minus sign. [itex]\gamma^\mu[/itex] is Hermitian, but [itex]\bar\psi\gamma^\mu \psi[/itex] is anti-Hermitian. The Hermitian quantity is [itex]i \bar\psi\gamma^\mu \psi[/itex].

Likes Bertin
I'm not anti-commuting the fields. It's just the definition of transpose. Anti-commuting means, for example, to take [itex]\bar \psi_1\gamma_\mu\psi_2[/itex] and move [itex]\psi_2[/itex] on the other side, i.e. you are writing the same operator in a different way. When you take the transpose you are not rearranging the same operator, it's a new one (the transpose) and it is defined with the inverse order of operators.

Is [itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] hermitian?
I am not so sure...
[itex]\gamma^{0}[/itex] is
but [itex]\gamma^{i}[/itex] is antihermitian.
The conjugate of the gamma matrices, defined by Clifford Algebra [itex]\left\{ \gamma^{\mu},\gamma^{\nu}\right\} = 2 n^{\mu \nu} I_{4}[/itex] is given by:
[itex] (\gamma^{\mu})^{\dagger} = \gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{0} [/itex]

In fact you have:
[itex] (\bar{\psi_{1}} \gamma^{\mu} \psi_{2} )^{\dagger}=\psi_{2}^{\dagger} (\gamma^{\mu})^{\dagger} (\gamma^{0})^{\dagger} \psi_{1} = \psi_{2}^{\dagger} \gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{0} \psi_{1} = \bar{\psi_{2}} \gamma^{\mu} \psi_{1} [/itex]
The first is by definition of any "matrix", whether commuting or not, [itex] (AB)^{\dagger}= B^{\dagger}A^{\dagger}[/itex].
If you now want to anticommute the AB: [itex] (AB)^{\dagger}=-(BA)^{\dagger}= -A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger}=B^{\dagger}A^{\dagger}[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
[itex] \gamma_\mu[/itex] is not Hermitian, but the additional $\gamma_0$ that you get from its conjugate goes together to [itex]\psi^\dagger[/itex] to form [itex]\bar \psi[/itex]. I honestly don't think there should be any extra minus

Likes 1 person
One can chose all gamma matrices to be hermitian, it is merely a convention which one adopts and can be found in Sakurai, Mandl and Shaw. On the other hand one can chose only γ0 to be hermitian which is most common used convention.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a Hermitian conjugate of Dirac field bilinear?

The Hermitian conjugate of a Dirac field bilinear is a mathematical operation that involves taking the complex conjugate of the bilinear and reversing the order of its two components. In other words, it is the complex conjugate of the transpose of the bilinear.

2. Why is the Hermitian conjugate of Dirac field bilinear important in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, the Hermitian conjugate of a Dirac field bilinear is important because it allows for the construction of local observables, which are quantities that can be measured at a specific point in spacetime. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermions in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the Hermitian conjugate of a Dirac field bilinear related to the spinor inner product?

The Hermitian conjugate of a Dirac field bilinear is directly related to the spinor inner product, as it is used to define the inner product between spinors. The spinor inner product is an important concept in quantum field theory, as it allows for the calculation of transition amplitudes between different states.

4. What is the difference between a Hermitian conjugate and a complex conjugate?

A Hermitian conjugate is the complex conjugate of a matrix or operator, while a complex conjugate is the complex conjugate of a single number or variable. In other words, the Hermitian conjugate involves taking the complex conjugate of every element in a matrix, while a complex conjugate only involves one element.

5. How does the Hermitian conjugate of a Dirac field bilinear relate to the charge conjugation operator?

The Hermitian conjugate of a Dirac field bilinear is closely related to the charge conjugation operator, as it is one of the components used to define the operator. The charge conjugation operator is important in quantum field theory as it relates particles to their corresponding antiparticles, and can be used to define certain discrete symmetries in particle physics.