Designing Big Solenoid for Physics ISU - 100-200VDC 2-7A

• Thread starter Colt22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary: Iron is a better material for the solenoid because it will have a stronger magnetic field. Copper will have a weaker magnetic field, and you may not be able to shoot your object out of the solenoid if you use it.
Colt22
Im building a big solenoid for my physics ISU and i was woundering on how it should be designed. I plan on supplying around 100-200 volts DC to it, at very low current, maby 2-7 amps. The question is this, does the solenoid have to have a specific length or number of coils, or a certain resistance or is the whole system just one big short circut, and if it is will i have to worry about heat or power issues with my powersupply.

as for the powersupply, I am planning on building one for myself, very basic, going from 120vac 15a to 100-200 vdc 2-7a. Now will i need any special components added to the powersupply (larger heatsinks ect ect)...the type of powersupply is basic, similar to the one seen here http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?16

i also need to know about the solenoid coil layers, how would i add more layers to make sure that the rod i insert at one end will shoot out the other end completely

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Colt - I think you are looking to build what most would call a rail gun? Regardless, you sound like you are overly ambitious and playing with voltages that can easily be lethal should something go wrong.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you use a manufactured power supply with overcurrent protection and at a lower voltage level of something like 35V or less. Then you can research whatever type of solenoid you want to build. Here's a link to a simple set of projects that may be of interest:

http://www.scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/electro/railgun/railgun.html

Last edited:
thanks for the advice, i talked to a friend of mine who is a little more experienced in matters of power supplies than i am, and he was able to supply me a power supply of a more reasonable output, 40 volts at 3 amps,

But as for the actual solenoid, since i was unable to locate a sutable sized iron pipe to use, i settled for a copper pipe that was handy, but will this affect the strength of the magnetic field by a large amount?, because i know that copper has a lower magnetic permeability than iron.

As for the object that i want to fire out of the solenoid what material should it be and in what shape?

Last edited:
Well, if your working with weak magnetic field(yes the copper will affect the strength of your magnet) then you'll want to use magnets as your projectiles probably. Look into cow magnets because they are strong slender and cheap. If you want more oomph then try Neodymium magnets. You can get the latter in long slender shapes but they cost about 4 to 5x more. You might try black pipe from a hardware store. It's not the best material but it is iron and will have slightly better permeability than copper will.

thx, but as for the magnets, wouldent the positive pole of the magnet be attracted to the side of the solenoid because when it is powered the inside becomes negative?, would a long slender rod with let's say 4 strip magnets attached around it work( neg side facing away from the center of the rod).

Will this type of object be shot out of a solenoid if used, and are there any other types

Colt22 said:
thx, but as for the magnets, wouldent the positive pole of the magnet be attracted to the side of the solenoid because when it is powered the inside becomes negative?, would a long slender rod with let's say 4 strip magnets attached around it work( neg side facing away from the center of the rod).

Will this type of object be shot out of a solenoid if used, and are there any other types

If you align the magnet so the same poles are close to each other initially then give a quick pulse of electricity (On/Off) to start the magnet on its way then switch the field when the magnet is a little greater the 1/2 through the solenoid then you should be able to do it. You'd need to detemine an appropriate solenoid length for this to work.

You need strong magnets because you are using a weak field(relatively speaking). Adhesive magnets won't work and strong magnets will be very difficult to bond as you suggest(get a couple of Neo magnets and try pushing their S-S or N-N poles together).

colt

I have done what you are trying to do..
i used a plastic pipe from home depot(0.840 OD & 0.615 ID )..& wound #23 gage wire around it and connected it to a 12 V car battery..it shot my neodymium magnet out the end of the tube..
Now i don't know where you got the idea that using an iron pipe would be better than a copper pipe, but i can assure you , plastic is better than copper & copper is better than iron.. The reason being is you want something that will pass the magnetic field through it, as unobstructed as possible ..
i used .5 " X .5" Rod magnets about $ 1.50 for one..

how fast/far did the magnet go? (roughly), and where can i get magnets like that.

Also are there any other good types of objects that would work as a projectile.

Regarding the powersupply i obtained, i just realized that it is a switching powersupply, like thoes used in PC applications, now if i were to use this powersupply, would it not detect the shortcircut and cut power?

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=list&category=Magnets_and_Magnetism%3BPermanent_Ma\0\0? {P?\0\0\0\0 {e?\0Cstart=0
it shot about two feet and landed on the floor, but i could imagine that it could and would go much faster and farther..i was testing the windings at the time , and the coils were not wound specifically to create a projectile..as they are just 0.5 '' wide each..
the magnets are actually $2 each ..i bought over fifty so i paid $1.60 ..
i don't know wether or not your powersupply will shut down , but if you are using enough wire , it won't see a direct short , it will see a very low resistance..

Last edited by a moderator:
would anyone else know forsure about the powersupply?

and thanks willib for that site

no one have any thoughts on the powersupply

also which would be better to create a strong magnetic field; high current low amps, or hight amps low current

Colt22 said:
no one have any thoughts on the powersupply

also which would be better to create a strong magnetic field; high current low amps, or hight amps low current

Current IS amps.

it is current that you want , when creating a magnetic field ..
voltage ..Not so much :smile:

my bad about the current got a bit mixed up, ok, so higher current lower volts, but won't i need a thicker wire to carry the higher current? (i currently have very very thin wire), and if i were to let's say run 30volts at 10 amps, what gauge wire would you recomend?

Actually either one will make a good magnetic field. Lower current allows smaller wire which allows more windings in the same physical space which will get you the same thing in the end. Obviously there is an optimum range, but I am not sure what it is.

30 volts at 10 amps is 300 watts dissipated in heat. WOW.

colt , very very thin wire is .. what??
AWG 30 , to me, is very very thin..
if i were to design a rail gun , i would state my maximum estimated current & voltage , right off..
using the car battery as an example , 12V/10A=1.2 ohms..
now , at 11 AWG ,1000 feet gives 1.26 ohms..besides being way too thick wire at .090 " way too much is needed..
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
lets see what 250 feet at about 1.2 ohms would be..
17 gauge is 5.064 ohms per 1000 feet and is more reasonable at .045 dia..
so 250 feet =1.266 ohms.. close enough.
but still a little hard to get 250 feet of 17 gauge wire..
20 gauge wire is only .032 " but it is 10.15 ohms per 1000 feet, if we used two strands of 250 feet each should give 1.27 ohms this is a do-able length and a do-able thickness..
But can two -250 foot strands of 20 gauge wire handle 10 A ??
For short durations it could..

1. How do you determine the necessary voltage and current for a solenoid in a physics ISU?

The necessary voltage and current for a solenoid depend on the specific requirements of the project, such as the strength of the magnetic field needed and the dimensions of the solenoid. To determine these values, you can use the equation V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the solenoid. You can also consult with a physics professor or do research on similar projects to get an idea of the appropriate range for your solenoid.

2. What materials are commonly used to make a big solenoid for physics ISU?

The most common materials used to make big solenoids for physics ISUs are copper wire and iron cores. Copper wire is used for the coils of the solenoid because it has low resistance and can carry high currents. Iron cores are used to increase the strength of the magnetic field. Other materials such as aluminum, steel, and various alloys can also be used depending on the specific requirements and budget of the project.

3. How do you design the coils of a big solenoid for a physics ISU?

The design of the coils for a big solenoid involves determining the appropriate number of turns and the spacing between each turn. This is based on the desired strength of the magnetic field and the dimensions of the solenoid. You can use online calculators or mathematical formulas to help with this process. It is also important to consider the gauge of the wire and the material used for the core, as these factors can affect the design of the coils.

4. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when designing a big solenoid for a physics ISU?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when designing a big solenoid for a physics ISU. First, make sure to follow all safety guidelines and regulations set by your school or institution. Always use appropriate safety gear such as gloves and eye protection when working with electricity and metal materials. It is also important to properly secure the solenoid to prevent any accidents or injuries. Lastly, make sure to have a qualified individual supervise the construction and testing of the solenoid.

5. Can a big solenoid for a physics ISU be used for other experiments or projects?

Yes, a big solenoid designed for a physics ISU can be used for other experiments or projects. Solenoids are versatile tools in physics and can be used for a variety of experiments and demonstrations, such as creating a magnetic field, measuring forces, and studying electromagnetic induction. However, it is important to note that the design of the solenoid may need to be modified for different experiments or projects based on their specific requirements.