Cause & Effect of Northridge Earthquake 1994 - Unusual Night Sky

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary: Now nightly hikes to the top of a mountain and gazing at the stars are as close to a religious experience as I get.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just heard this on some astronomy show. When the big quake hit Northridge, Ca, in 1994, at 4:30AM, electrical power was lost over a large area. When the quake ended, and when people went outside and saw the night sky, something that is almost never seen because of all the city's lights, it was such an unusual sight that some people assumed that the strange sky was somehow a factor in the quake!

Now that's really sad; for several reasons!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did they see the Milky Way? I am dying to go to Joshua Tree so I can get a look.

p.s. after the Northridge quake, all I was looking for was an open bar! :eek:

lol! "oh my god look at allllll those airplanes!"

I have taken kids camping that have never been out of the city. I have seen a type of fear in them when they first look at night sky. Its completely foreign to them. But by the end of the week the questions start pouring in.

hypatia said:
I have taken kids camping that have never been out of the city. I have seen a type of fear in them when they first look at night sky. Its completely foreign to them. But by the end of the week the questions start pouring in.
I grew up in a very rural place, and yet as a young kid always found the night sky frightening. This didn't start until the night my mother pointed out Venus to me for the first time, explaining it was another planet like earth. Before that, I'd assumed the stars were something like light bulbs in a canopy. The realization that we were surrounded by enormous, empty space struck me as very threatening, and made me feel miniscule and helpless.

zoobyshoe said:
The realization that we were surrounded by enormous, empty space struck me as very threatening, and made me feel miniscule and helpless.

Forwarded to Zoobyshoe's Therapist. :wink:

No, I got over it. Due to certain group campouts in late teenage involving wine, whiskey and vodka, decieved parents, sleeping bags, etc I formed pleasurable associations with the starry veld above.

1. What caused the Northridge Earthquake in 1994?

The Northridge Earthquake in 1994 was caused by movement along the Northridge blind thrust fault, a previously unknown fault line that runs through the San Fernando Valley. This movement was triggered by the larger San Andreas fault system.

2. What was the magnitude of the Northridge Earthquake?

The Northridge Earthquake was measured at a magnitude of 6.7 on the Richter scale, making it one of the most destructive earthquakes in the history of California.

3. Why was the night sky unusually bright during the Northridge Earthquake?

The night sky was unusually bright due to a phenomenon known as earthquake lights. These lights are thought to be caused by electrical charges released during the stress of an earthquake, which then ionize the air and create a luminous glow.

4. What were the effects of the Northridge Earthquake on the surrounding area?

The Northridge Earthquake caused widespread damage to buildings, roads, and infrastructure in the surrounding area. It also resulted in over 50 fatalities and thousands of injuries. The total economic cost of the earthquake was estimated to be around $20 billion.

5. How has the Northridge Earthquake influenced earthquake preparedness and building codes?

The Northridge Earthquake highlighted the need for better earthquake preparedness and building codes in California. As a result, stricter building codes were put in place, and emergency response plans were improved. The earthquake also spurred advancements in earthquake prediction and early warning systems.