Catia, measuring just the horizontal distance in side view

In summary, to measure just the horizontal distance between two points in different horizontal planes in CATIA V5R19, you can either customize the measuring tool to only give you the component of the inclined measurement line, or you can create a sketch parallel to the side view and project the points onto the sketch surface before measuring the distance.
marellasunny
In CATIA V5R19, when I switch to the side view, how do I measure just the horizontal distance between 2 points that are not exactly in the same horizontal plane? When I use the tool 'Measure distance between' , I get a inclined measurement line which is exactly what I do not want.

How do I go about correcting this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few ways to do this: when you use the measuring tool, you can customize it to give you the component of the ''inclined measurement line''. Assuming the horizontal you are looking for is one of the x,y,z components your problem is solve. Otherwise you can create a sketch parallel to the side view and and project the points you want to measure on the sketch surface, and then measure the distance.

Last edited:
Measure Between - Selection 1 mode - Any geometry, infinite ; Selection 2 mode - Any geometry, infinite
Now try to measure. Hope it helps.

1. How do I measure the horizontal distance in Catia side view?

To measure the horizontal distance in Catia side view, select the "Measure" tool from the toolbar. Then click on the starting point of the distance and drag the cursor to the end point. The horizontal distance will be displayed in the measurement window.

2. Can I measure the horizontal distance between two specific points in Catia side view?

Yes, you can measure the horizontal distance between any two points in Catia side view by using the "Measure" tool. Simply click on the first point, then hold down the "Ctrl" key and click on the second point. The horizontal distance will be displayed in the measurement window.

3. How can I change the units of measurement in Catia side view?

To change the units of measurement in Catia side view, go to the "Tools" menu and select "Options". In the "General" tab, you can change the units from the drop-down menu under "Measurement Units". Click "OK" to save the changes.

4. Is there a way to measure the horizontal distance between two parallel lines in Catia side view?

Yes, you can use the "Measure Between Two Lines" tool in Catia side view to measure the horizontal distance between two parallel lines. This tool can be found in the "Analysis" tab. Simply click on the two parallel lines and the horizontal distance will be displayed in the measurement window.

5. Can I measure the horizontal distance between two curved surfaces in Catia side view?

Yes, you can use the "Measure Between Two Surfaces" tool in Catia side view to measure the horizontal distance between two curved surfaces. This tool can be found in the "Analysis" tab. Simply click on the two surfaces and the horizontal distance will be displayed in the measurement window.