Determine function from the graph

In summary: It also sounds like you may want to research "numerical analysis" and "interpolation" which deal with approximating functions given a finite number of data points.In summary, the conversation discusses techniques for determining the function from its graph, including using the derivative at multiple points and integrating backwards, approximating the function with polynomials, and researching numerical analysis and interpolation.
Goodver
How to determine the function from its graph if it has a non-simple shape?

Given a graph (see attachment) where set of coordinates of any point is known. Are there any techniques to find an equation of the function? So far i can guess, that i need to measure the derivative at multiple points, then plot it, then find graph of second derivative and so on until i get a 0 derivative, and then integrate backwards to obtain original equation.

Could anyone please mention whether there are some techniques to perform such evaluations i could read about?

Attachments

• selection.png
    selection.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't. Theoretically, there exist a unique function having a given graph. Practically, which is what I assume you mean, you can only deal with a finite number of data points and there always exist an infinite number of functions passing through a finite number of given points.

If you can "guess" the type of function, polynomial, exponential, trig, etc (which are really "simple" types of functions) you can write out a "general" form ([itex]y= c_nx^n+ c_{n-1}x^{n-1}+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ c_1x+ c_0[/itex] or [itex]y= ae^{bx}[/itex] or [itex]y= acos(x)+ bsin(x)+ c cos(3x)+ d sin(3x)[/itex]) and use as many points as you have unknown coefficients to get equations to solve for those coefficients.

Or you can use the fact that any continuous function can be approximated to any degree of accuracy by a polynomial to get an approximation to the function by a, perhaps very, very high degree, polynomial.

It sounds to me like you are trying to use points to approximate the function- though if you have the graph of the function itself I can't imagine why you would "measure the derivative at multiple points" and then integrate when you can approximate the function itself directly.

It sounds like you need to use, say, "Newton's divided difference formula":
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~ronmiech/YAN/ndivdiff.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

What is the purpose of determining the function from a graph?

Determining the function from a graph allows us to understand the relationship between two variables and make predictions or calculations based on this relationship. It also helps us to identify patterns and trends in the data.

What information do I need to determine the function from a graph?

To determine the function from a graph, you need to know the independent and dependent variables, the scale of the graph, and the shape of the plotted points.

What are the steps to determine the function from a graph?

The steps to determine the function from a graph are:1. Identify the independent and dependent variables2. Determine the scale of the graph3. Plot the points on the graph4. Analyze the shape of the plotted points5. Write the equation of the function based on the pattern or trend observed.

What are the common types of functions that can be determined from a graph?

The most common types of functions that can be determined from a graph are linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions.

Can a function be determined from any type of graph?

No, a function can only be determined from a graph if the plotted points show a clear and consistent relationship between the independent and dependent variables. If the graph is not a continuous line or curve, then a function cannot be determined from it.