Why study different kinds of functions in Real and Complex Analysis?

In summary: The analogy I made is that if we try to study polynomials using nothing but real variables we soon get tangled up by the fact that a polynomial of degree n with real coefficients can have any number of real roots from 0 to n. If we want to get some general results, we need to consider complex roots. Then, we might as well consider complex coefficients as well, since restricting the coefficients to real numbers doesn't gain you anything very interesting.The same is true for studying analytic functions. If we restrict ourselves to studying the convergence of power series, we are missing out on a lot of interesting information. We need to consider convergence in a circular region of the complex plane, not just convergence on an interval
Sigma057
I've taken basic undergraduate Real and Complex Analysis, and I've noticed they focus on different kinds of functions. Real analysis studies things like Dirichlet and Cantor functions with infinitely many discontinuities while complex analysis studies mostly differentiable functions.

My question is, why don't we study both continuous and discontinuous functions equally in both disciplines?

I realize that this question may disappear at graduate level, but my question is directed at undergraduate-level material.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an analogy. If you try to study polynomials using nothing but real variables, you soon get tangled up by the fact that a polynomial of degree n with real coefficients can have any number of real roots from 0 to n. If you want to get some general results, you need to consider complex roots. Then, you might as well consider complex coefficients as well, since restricting the coefficients to real numbers doesn't gain you anything very interesting.

The same is true for studying analytic functions, which is one of the main topics in complex analysis. You can't get very far studying the convergence of power series, for example, if you restrict yourself to real numbers. The useful concept is convergence in a circular region of the complex plane, not convergence on an interval of the real line which just happens to intersect the circle.

On the other hand, all the messy stuff that can happen with discontinuous real functions doesn't change much for complex functions, so you if you study it in Real Analysis there is not much educational value in studying it again in Complex Analysis.

^Right. The only truly different concept in complex analysis is that of complex differentiability, the rest is exactly the same as in real analysis. And it happens that a complex differentiably function is extremely well-behaved, so we're forced to study well-behaved things.

Can I drop a very related, but slightly more specific question? (it seemed to not worth a new topic on its own, but if you do not think so I will delete this post and go for that option)

I get the importance of holomorphic functions, and the relative uselessness of studying continuous but not holomorphic complex functions. However, what strikes me is that this goes so far that even the concept of a singularity in complex analysis is defined only for holomorphic functions (referring for example to the wikipedia article on the subject). Is there some particular reason for this, other than the fact that the study of singularities of "simply continuous" complex functions may not worth the effort?

. The same is true for studying analytic functions said:
How about analytic continuation?

Sigma057 said:
I've taken basic undergraduate Real and Complex Analysis, and I've noticed they focus on different kinds of functions. Real analysis studies things like Dirichlet and Cantor functions with infinitely many discontinuities while complex analysis studies mostly differentiable functions.
The Dirichlet and Cantor functions are examples of bizarre behavior that are presented in the simplest context possible. Once the examples are given in a simple setting there is no reason to discuss them again in a more complicated setting.
My question is, why don't we study both continuous and discontinuous functions equally in both disciplines?
Discontinuous and non-differentiable functions are studied in multivariate calculus. There is no reason to consider those spaces as complex planes for those functions because the beautiful results of complex analysis do not hold.

1. Why is it important to study different kinds of functions in Real and Complex Analysis?

Studying different kinds of functions in Real and Complex Analysis allows us to understand the behavior and properties of these functions in different contexts. This is essential for solving real-world problems and developing mathematical models to describe various phenomena.

2. What are some examples of functions studied in Real and Complex Analysis?

Some common examples of functions studied in Real and Complex Analysis include polynomials, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and rational functions. Other examples include power functions, hyperbolic functions, and Bessel functions.

3. What is the difference between Real and Complex Analysis?

Real Analysis deals with functions of a single real variable, while Complex Analysis deals with functions of a single complex variable. Complex Analysis is an extension of Real Analysis, as it includes the study of functions that have both real and imaginary parts.

4. How are Real and Complex Analysis used in other fields of science?

Real and Complex Analysis have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. In physics, these branches of mathematics are essential for studying the behavior of physical systems. In engineering, they are used to develop models for designing and analyzing structures and systems. In economics, Real and Complex Analysis are used to study market trends and make predictions. In computer science, these branches of mathematics are used for developing algorithms and analyzing the efficiency of computer programs.

5. What are some of the major theorems studied in Real and Complex Analysis?

Some of the major theorems studied in Real and Complex Analysis include the Intermediate Value Theorem, the Mean Value Theorem, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. Other important theorems include the Maximum and Minimum Value Theorems, the Cauchy Integral Theorem, and the Cauchy-Riemann Integral Formula.