Logarithm differentiation + chain rule

In summary: There's no need to apologize for asking questions and wanting to understand things better. And I don't see your question as being arrogant at all. In fact, I appreciate it when people ask questions that don't initially make sense to them. It shows that they're thinking critically and trying to understand the concepts better.
JamesGoh
For this function

[itex]y=\sqrt{2ln(x)+1}[/itex]

if I use the chain rule properly, should I be getting this answer?

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2}{x} \times \frac{1}{2} \times \frac{1}{\sqrt{2ln(x)+1}}[/itex]

My aim of doing this is to verify that

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{xy}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
That's right and equal to what you want!

Shyan said:
That's right and equal to what you want!
Exactly what Shaun said.
If you equate that to what information you need.

BINGO! You will get your answer

As a simpler alternative to using the chain rule, you can do this:

##y = \sqrt{2\ln(x) + 1} ##
##\Rightarrow y^2 = 2\ln(x) + 1##
Differentiating implicitly,
##2y\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2}{x}##
##\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{xy}##

Likes 1 person
Yes, that is correct. Just to show the math:

d/dx[√2ln(x)+1]
=1/2√2ln(x)+1 * 2/x
=2/x * 1/2 * 1/√2ln(x)+1

You are missing several sets of parentheses.
Apogee said:
Yes, that is correct. Just to show the math:

d/dx[√2ln(x)+1]
Most would interpret the part in brackets above as √2 * ln(x)+1, rather than √(2ln(x)+1).
Apogee said:
=1/2√2ln(x)+1 * 2/x
Most would interpret the above as
1/2 * √2ln(x) + 2/x, which I don't think is what you intended.
Apogee said:
=2/x * 1/2 * 1/√2ln(x)+1

You're right, perhaps I should have put 2ln(x) + 1 in parentheses, but I think he gets what I mean haha. Nonetheless, I appreciate the correction. Thank you!

Mark44 said:

Hm, how does this take into account the fact that squaring the equation will give multiple values?

##y^2=2\ln(x)+1## is a set of two equations, namely $$y= \sqrt{2\ln(x) + 1}$$ and $$y= -\sqrt{2\ln(x) + 1}$$
Will the derivative also be multiple valued? It doesn't seem like it since ##\frac{1}{xy}## is a singled valued funtion. What am I missing?

Mark44 said:

paradoxymoron said:
Hm, how does this take into account the fact that squaring the equation will give multiple values?
Actually it doesn't in this case. That's something that I considered but didn't mention before. In the first equation, the square root term is necessarily nonnegative, which means that y must also be nonnegative. So squaring both sides doesn't introduce extraneous solutions that weren't present in the original equation.
paradoxymoron said:
##y^2=2\ln(x)+1## is a set of two equations, namely $$y= \sqrt{2\ln(x) + 1}$$ and $$y= -\sqrt{2\ln(x) + 1}$$
Will the derivative also be multiple valued?
I don't understand what you're asking. The derivative will not be multiple valued.
paradoxymoron said:
It doesn't seem like it since ##\frac{1}{xy}## is a singled valued funtion. What am I missing?

Mark44 said:
I don't understand what you're asking. The derivative will not be multiple valued.

What I'm trying to ask is that since we found the derivative is ##\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{xy}##, we have two options for ##y## now, the positive or negative root, since we squared the term to make the differentiation simpler. Why do we necessarily choose the positive one? I know I'm just being technical, sorry about my arrogance, but it's a pet-peeve of mine.

paradoxymoron said:
What I'm trying to ask is that since we found the derivative is ##\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{xy}##, we have two options for ##y## now, the positive or negative root, since we squared the term to make the differentiation simpler.
No we don't in this case, which I explained in post #9. Since y is the square root of some expression, y is necessarily nonnegative. Take a look again at what I wrote, and see if that answers your questions.

paradoxymoron said:
Why do we necessarily choose the positive one? I know I'm just being technical, sorry about my arrogance, but it's a pet-peeve of mine.

1. What is logarithm differentiation?

Logarithm differentiation is a mathematical technique for finding the derivative of a function that contains logarithmic terms. It involves using the properties of logarithms and the chain rule to simplify the function before taking the derivative.

2. Why is the chain rule necessary for logarithm differentiation?

The chain rule is necessary for logarithm differentiation because logarithmic functions often involve nested functions, and the chain rule allows us to take the derivative of these nested functions in a systematic way.

3. Can logarithm differentiation be used for any function with logarithmic terms?

Yes, logarithm differentiation can be used for any function that contains logarithmic terms, as long as the function is differentiable.

4. What are the steps for using logarithm differentiation?

The steps for using logarithm differentiation are:1. Rewrite the function using logarithm properties to simplify it.2. Apply the chain rule to each term in the simplified function.3. Combine the resulting derivatives using the product and quotient rules if necessary.4. Substitute the original function back in for any logarithmic terms that were simplified.5. Simplify the final result if possible.

5. How is logarithm differentiation used in real-world applications?

Logarithm differentiation is commonly used in economics, finance, and science to model and analyze various processes. It can also be used to find optimal solutions in optimization problems and to calculate rates of change in exponential growth or decay scenarios.