Continuous functional s.t. $f(x_0)\ne 0$

In summary, in any locally convex topological space X, not necessarily a Hausdorff space but with linear operations continuous, for any ##x_0\ne 0## we can define a continuous linear functional f:X\to K such that f(x_0)\ne 0. This follows from the Hahn-Banach theorems, which state that if ##\rho_0## is a continuous linear functional on a subspace ##V_0## of a locally convex space ##V##, then there is a continuous linear functional ##\rho:V\rightarrow K## such that ##\rho\vert_{V_0} = \rho_0##. A proof can be found in Kadison
DavideGenoa
I read that in any locally convex topological space [itex]X[/itex], not necessarily a Hausdorff space but with linear operations continuous, for any ##x_0\ne 0## we can define a continuous linear functional [itex]f:X\to K[/itex] such that [itex]f(x_0)\ne 0[/itex].

I cannot find a proof of that anywhere and cannot prove it myself. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that if [itex]A[/itex] is closed in [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]x_0\in A[/itex] there exist a continuous linear functional rigorously separating [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex], but I am not sure whether we can use that...

I have also tried with Minkowski functional, but with no result...
[itex]\infty[/itex] thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DavideGenoa said:
I read that in any locally convex topological space [itex]X[/itex], not necessarily a Hausdorff space but with linear operations continuous, for any ##x_0\ne 0## we can define a continuous linear functional [itex]f:X\to K[/itex] such that [itex]f(x_0)\ne 0[/itex].

I cannot find a proof of that anywhere and cannot prove it myself. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that if [itex]A[/itex] is closed in [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]x_0\in A[/itex] there exist a continuous linear functional rigorously separating [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex], but I am not sure whether we can use that...

I have also tried with Minkowski functional, but with no result...
[itex]\infty[/itex] thanks for any help!

This follows from the Hahn-Banach theorems. One of the versions of this theorems state that

If ##\rho_0## is a continuous linear functional on a subspace ##V_0## of a locally convex space ##V##, then there is a continuous linear functional ##\rho:V\rightarrow K## such that ##\rho\vert_{V_0} = \rho_0##.

A proof can be found in Kadison & Ringrose "Fundamentals of the Theory of Operator Algebras, Vol I", Theorem 1.2.14 page 22.

Now you only need to define a suitable operator ##\rho_0## on ##\textrm{span}\{x_0\}## and apply the previous theorem.

Likes 1 person
...and we can choose [itex]\rho_0:\alpha x_0\mapsto \alpha[/itex].
However, I think it may be necessary that ##V## be Hausdorff, since theorem 1.2.6, on which 1.2.14 is based, needs the hypothesis. ##\infty## thanks!

DavideGenoa said:
...and we can choose [itex]\rho_0:\alpha x_0\mapsto \alpha[/itex].
However, I think it may be necessary that ##V## be Hausdorff, since theorem 1.2.6, on which 1.2.14 is based, needs the hypothesis. ##\infty## thanks!

Yes, you need Hausdorff. Indeed, assume we have for each ##x_0\neq 0## a continuous functional ##f:V\rightarrow K## such that ##f(x_0)\neq 0##.

Then take ##x,y\in V## distinct points. We can find a continuous linear functional ##f:V\rightarrow K## such that ##f(x-y)\neq 0##. Thus we have ##f(x)\neq f(y)##, and thus we can find open sets ##U## and ##V## in ##K## such that ##f(x)\in U## and ##f(x)\in V## and ##U\cap V = \emptyset##. Then ##x\in f^{-1}(U)## and ##y\in f^{-1}(V)## and ##f^{-1}(U)## and ##f^{-1}(V)## are disjoint open sets in ##V##. As such ##V## is Hausdorff.

Functional analysis is so fascinating...
Thank you so much!

What is a continuous functional?

A continuous functional is a mathematical function that satisfies the property of continuity, meaning that its output changes smoothly as its input changes. This is in contrast to a discontinuous function, which has abrupt changes in its output as the input changes.

What is the significance of $f(x_0)\ne 0$ in a continuous functional?

The condition $f(x_0)\ne 0$ means that the output of the function at a specific point $x_0$ is not equal to zero. This can have important implications in applications such as optimization, where a function with a non-zero output at a specific point can indicate the presence of a local minimum or maximum.

Can a continuous functional have more than one point where $f(x_0)\ne 0$?

Yes, a continuous functional can have multiple points where $f(x_0)\ne 0$. In fact, it is common for functions to have multiple points of discontinuity, where the output changes abruptly. However, as long as the function is continuous between these points, it is still considered a continuous functional.

What are some examples of continuous functionals?

Some examples of continuous functionals include polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. These types of functions have smooth and continuous outputs as the input changes.

How are continuous functionals used in science?

Continuous functionals are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in modeling real-world phenomena and making predictions based on data. In physics, for example, continuous functionals are used to describe the motion of objects and the behavior of physical systems. In economics, they are used to model supply and demand, and in engineering, they are used in the design and optimization of systems and structures.