Deriving sin(a-b) trig identity using Cross Product of Unit Vectors

In summary: It depends on what you mean by "angle oriented positive." If you mean that the angle should start at the point A and end at the point B, then the angle should start at A. If you mean that the angle should start at the point B and end at the point A, then the angle should start at B.
deedsy

Homework Statement

A and B are two unit vectors in the x-y plane.
A = <cos(a), sin(a)>
B = <cos(b), sin(b)>

I need to derive the trig identity:
sin(a-b) = sin(a) cos(b) - sin(b) cos (a)

I'm told to do it using the properties of the cross product A x B

Homework Equations

A x B = |A||B| sinθ , where θ is the angle between the two vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, |A|=|B|=1 *unit vectors
sinθ = sin(a-b) *for a > b
A x B = cos(a)sin(b) - cos(b)sin(a)

Putting this together, I get:
sin(a-b) = cos(a)sin(b) - cos(b)sin(a)

I can't figure out what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the determinant definition of the cross product.

Actually nevermind. I don't thin that'd work. It may though.

I'm going to try.

## \left( \begin{array}{cc}
a & b \\
d & e \end{array} \right)##

Where a and b are the 1st and 2nd entries of a, and d and e being the same for b.
##det(A)= a*e-b*d##

Which is what you got I think. Hmm.

Last edited:
well I did do the determinate, that's how I got:

But that by itself doesn't tell you the trig identity?

Hmm. Are you sure it's ##cos(\alpha), sin(\alpha)##and not the other way around?

Then it'd work.
Oh in the x y plane. I think that switching them around to (y,x) will give the negative of the first cross product. It would just "point" in the opposite direction. Possibly?
I'm not quite sure. Trying to help, though.

yeah, the question has it how I wrote it

I updated the above reply with a possibility. Since -(cos(a)sin(b)-sin(a)cos(b)) would give the identity

Likes 1 person
yeah, you're right. That works if they are switched; it also works to derive the sin(a+b) trig identity if they are switched like that. I'm just thinking now if that is ok to switch the x and y components for both unit vectors..

Well by the definition of the cross product, it would have the same magnitude as (x,y) just pointing in the opposite direction. So it's just taking the negative of the (x,y) determinant, you don't actually have to switch them. It just shows how I set up the second determinant

deedsy said:

Homework Statement

A and B are two unit vectors in the x-y plane.
A = <cos(a), sin(a)>
B = <cos(b), sin(b)>

I need to derive the trig identity:
sin(a-b) = sin(a) cos(b) - sin(b) cos (a)

I'm told to do it using the properties of the cross product A x B

Homework Equations

A x B = |A||B| sinθ , where θ is the angle between the two vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, |A|=|B|=1 *unit vectors
sinθ = sin(a-b) *for a > b

Putting this together, I get:
sin(a-b) = cos(a)sin(b) - cos(b)sin(a)

I can't figure out what I did wrong?

The problem is that you have neglected the vectors in the last expression .

##A \times B = [cos(a)sin(b) - cos(b)sin(a)]\hat{k}##

##A \times B = -sin(a-b)\hat{k}##

Equate the above two and you would get the desired result .

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
That works too, and is mathematically "valid"

Thanks for clearing that up.

I think that your "Relevant equation" needs theta to be the angle oriented positive starting at A and ending at B. You have it going the other way when a > b. Change the signs and you've got it.

So I want to make sure I understand why there should be a negative sign in front of sin(a-b).

A x B gives me a vector with a magnitude equal to |A||B|sinθ. The direction of the vector, by the right hand rule, is perpendicular to these vectors (into the page). However, the determinate of A x B gives a direction k-hat (out of the page), so I need to make one of the terms negative to be consistent. Is this correct?

Basically yes, but consistent because of the presence of k hat, no. . We're multiplying the entire expression of A x B by -1. See the post 2 above this one for an explanation by another user.

How do you know which vector the angle should start from?

That's why use use the determinant definition, avoiding the angle ##\phi## between A and B

Actually for sin(a-b) b should be smaller than a so we get a positive angle ##\phi##. Is that what you meant. ?

Last edited:
wait, what? If you want the angle between the vectors θ to be positive, you'd want a > b since it is sin(a-b)

Tanya Sharma said:

thanks Tanya. but can you explain why there needs to be a negative sign in front of sin(a-b) ? Or was my explanation correct?

deedsy said:
wait, what? If you want the angle between the vectors θ to be positive, you'd want a > b since it is sin(a-b)
That's what I meant. Basically there's a negative sign so we can flip around the terms. There's not anything ore to it, as far as I know.

deedsy said:
How do you know which vector the angle should start from?

In the cross product notation, AxB, the angle is always measured starting from the first vector, A, and ending at the second vector, B. So in your notation, theta = b-a always. That agrees with the right hand rule.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
deedsy said:
So I want to make sure I understand why there should be a negative sign in front of sin(a-b).

A x B gives me a vector with a magnitude equal to |A||B|sinθ. The direction of the vector, by the right hand rule, is perpendicular to these vectors (into the page). However, the determinate of A x B gives a direction k-hat (out of the page), so I need to make one of the terms negative to be consistent. Is this correct?

deedsy said:
thanks Tanya. but can you explain why there needs to be a negative sign in front of sin(a-b) ? Or was my explanation correct?

Right hand rule gives the cross product in ##-\hat{k}## direction.

Likes 1 person

What is the "Deriving sin(a-b) trig identity using Cross Product of Unit Vectors" method?

The "Deriving sin(a-b) trig identity using Cross Product of Unit Vectors" method is a mathematical technique used to prove the trigonometric identity sin(a-b) = sin(a)cos(b) - cos(a)sin(b) by using vector operations.

How do you use the Cross Product of Unit Vectors to derive the sin(a-b) identity?

The Cross Product of Unit Vectors is used to represent the sine and cosine functions in terms of vectors. By manipulating these vector expressions, the identity sin(a-b) = sin(a)cos(b) - cos(a)sin(b) can be derived.

What are the prerequisites for understanding this method?

A strong understanding of vector operations, trigonometric functions, and basic algebra is necessary to comprehend and apply the "Deriving sin(a-b) trig identity using Cross Product of Unit Vectors" method.

What are the benefits of using this method to derive the sin(a-b) identity?

This method offers a visual representation of the trigonometric functions and allows for a more intuitive understanding of the identity. It also provides a different approach to solving trigonometric identities compared to traditional algebraic methods.

Are there any limitations to using this method?

While the Cross Product of Unit Vectors method is a useful tool for proving the sin(a-b) identity, it may not be the most efficient method for all trigonometric identities. It is important to understand and be familiar with other methods as well.