Intermediate Value Theorem

In summary, the Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous on an interval [a,b], then it takes on all values between [f(a), f(b)]. In the given equation, x^5-1 crosses or aligns with x^3 at some point, as a consequence of the theorem. This can be proven by showing that for some x<0, x^5-1 will be less than x^3, and for some x>0, it will be larger, thus there must exist an a such that a^5-1=a^3. This can also be shown by evaluating the function at specific points, such as in the interval [1,2], where f(1)
monet A
Could someone please explain to me how I can use the intermediate value theorem to convince myself that m where

[tex] m = x^5 - 1 = x^3 [/tex]

exists. I have deduced that I can work in interval [1,2] using Newtons method where

[tex] x^5 - 1 - x^3 = 0 [/tex]

to find the answer. I even have the answer correct to four places, but part of the question is to show precisely how the intermediate value theorem proves the number exists in the positive real numbers before you do it.

My main problems are
1. I am not sure exactly how to prove that the function is continuous on the interval. (I have proved its continuous at each end.)
and
2. I am not sure exactly how to prove that the value for [itex] x^3 [/itex] is equal to the value for [itex] y^5 - 1 [/itex] when [itex] x=y [/itex] using **only** IVT. I mean, what in the intermediate value theorem proves that (and/or where) [itex] x^3 [/itex] crosses (or aligns with) [itex] x^5-1 [/itex]. Because I believe I am supposed to show that.

Just looking at the graphs of the equations and giving it a second thought is proving that the limit --> 0 exists on

[tex] x^5 - 1 - x^3 = 0 [/tex]

and is equal to f(0) hence proving continuity of the equation at x=0 what I should be doing?

using IVT then just on this equation would say that one value of x^5 - 1 is equal exactly to x^3. I think I have just answered my own question.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, a polynomial is continuous at every number: just take the limit of each monomial at the value a, and add them up to show that they equal f(a).

In regards to the Intermediate Value Theorem, it states that if the function is continuous on an interval [a,b], then it takes on all values between [f(a),f(b)]. Now, for some x<0, [itex]x^5-1[/itex] will be less than [itex]x^3[/itex]. Likewise, for some x>0, it will be larger. Thus, since they are continuous and as a consequence of the Intermediate Value Theorem, at some point they must cross, that is there exist an a such that:

[tex]a^5-1=a^3[/tex]

Last edited:
In fact, since you yourself mention the interval [1, 2], what is f(x)= x5- x3- 1 when x= 1? What is f(2)? What does the intermediate value theorem tell you must happen between 1 and 2?

saltydog said:
Well, a polynomial is continuous at every number: just take the limit of each monomial at the value a, and add them up to show that they equal f(a).

Thanks for that Saltydog. I could see easily that that was true, but I was not sure what rigorous proof was required to satisfy IVT.

saltydog said:
In regards to the Intermediate Value Theorem, it states that if the function is continuous on an interval [a,b], then it takes on all values between [f(a),f(b)]. Now, for some x<0, [itex]x^5-1[/itex] will be less than [itex]x^3[/itex]. Likewise, for some x>0, it will be larger. Thus, since they are continuous and as a consequence of the Intermediate Value Theorem, at some point they must cross, that is there exist an a such that:

[tex]a^5-1=a^3[/tex]

Thankyou again, I see that is one way that I can say it exists before I find it, but I am not sure I will naturally draw this conclusion in a test environment without fussing over details and flustering myself, since I am studying for a test I would probably find it easier to spell it out in the terms that Halls of Ivy recommended.

Last edited:

1. What is the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a continuous function f(x) is defined on a closed interval [a, b] and takes on two values f(a) and f(b), then it must also take on every value between f(a) and f(b) at least once.

2. Why is the Intermediate Value Theorem important?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is important because it provides a way to prove the existence of solutions to certain equations. It is also used in many proofs and applications in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

3. How is the Intermediate Value Theorem used in calculus?

In calculus, the Intermediate Value Theorem is often used to show that a function has a root or a zero between two points. It can also be used to prove the existence of local extrema and to show that a function is continuous on a given interval.

4. Can the Intermediate Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Intermediate Value Theorem can only be applied to continuous functions. A function is considered continuous if its graph has no breaks or holes and can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

5. How can the Intermediate Value Theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

The Intermediate Value Theorem can be extended to higher dimensions through the use of multivariable calculus and topology. In higher dimensions, the theorem states that if a continuous function f(x) is defined on a closed and bounded subset of n-dimensional Euclidean space, then it must take on every value between f(a) and f(b) at least once.