Should I Pursue a Doctorate in Engineering?

• Thread starter leright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: I guess it depends on what you want to do with your life. If you are just interested in engineering for the sake of engineering and don't really care about finding a career, then a Ph.D might be a good idea. If you want to do more than just engineering, then a Ph.D might not be necessary.Well, I would agree that going all the way up to a doctorate might limit my employability in industry as an engineer and it might force me... to teach or be a professor. I guess it depends on what you want to do with your life. If you are just interested in engineering for the sake of engineering and don't really care about finding a career, then a
leright
I am currently a junior electrical engineering student (might possibly double major in computer engineering). I know for sure that while I am working I will pick up a masters in ECE by going to night school part time. I can do this in 2 years. However, I am wondering whether I should keep going to school to get a doctorate in engineering (possibly manufacturing systems or ECE). I can do this in about 6 years on top of the master's degree when going to school part time. My question to you is, how beneficial to an engineer is graduate study up to the doctorate? What kinds of opportunities are available to an engineer with a doctorate? I know the Ph.D is extremely important in the sciences, but is it as good of a degree to have in engineering?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Previously you were talking about a physics/math dual major with chem minor or physics major with chem/math dual minor. You seriously need more time to think about your career yourself, otherwise your going to end up throwing money out the window or end up wasting time altogether. It seems to me that you have already given up your ambition in one week and you still don't know what for sure your going to do in your life. For what reasons that this insecurity has caused you to change your mind so quickly is none of my or anyone else's business but your going into your third year and you should have a good indication of what your going to do. If not, then stare deeply at yourself in a mirror.

Last edited:
Nusc said:
Previously you were talking about a physics/math dual major with chem minor or physics major with chem/math dual minor. You seriously need more time to think about your career yourself, otherwise your going to end up throwing money out the window or end up wasting time altogether. It seems to me that you have already given up your ambition in one week and you still don't know what for sure your going to do in your life. For what reasons that this insecurity has caused you is none of my or anyone else's business but your going into your third year and you should have a good indication of what your going to do. If not, then stare deeply at yourself in a mirror.

All last week I've been thinking about it and talking to advisors, and electrical engineering is where I should be, for a number of reasons. So far, I've only "wasted" 13 chemistry credits. Everything else I've taken goes toward my degree. I haven't yet taken any serious physics. I've only had the physics classes that engineers are supposed to take, nothing more. Also, I still plan on graduating on time since I am going to go to school in the summer while I work.

Now, could someone answer my questions?

Last edited:
leright said:
I know the Ph.D is extremely important in the sciences, but is it as good of a degree to have in engineering?
from what I heard: unless you want to teach/be a professor ... masters should be sufficient for finding a good job in corporate world. You seem to be driven by mere sense of achievement rather than interest.

EvLer said:
from what I heard: unless you want to teach/be a professor ... masters should be sufficient for finding a good job in corporate world. You seem to be driven by mere sense of achievement rather than interest.

That's what EVERYONE on this forum thinks when you start a thread like this. Regardless of the possible position I could get with the doctorate, or the prestige, I am probably going for it, because yes, I am strongly interested in the subject matter.

If you are honestly, truly interested in the subject matter, then indeed you may only have a career in academia. And pursuing a Ph.D is probably the first step to all of that. I personally find that despite having a good interest myself, the intense mathematics associated with it makes it somewhat distasteful. But if that does not mind you, it would be cool indeed to be paid to do your hobby.

mezarashi said:
If you are honestly, truly interested in the subject matter, then indeed you may only have a career in academia. And pursuing a Ph.D is probably the first step to all of that. I personally find that despite having a good interest myself, the intense mathematics associated with it makes it somewhat distasteful. But if that does not mind you, it would be cool indeed to be paid to do your hobby.

Well, I would agree that going all the way up to a doctorate might limit my employability in industry as an engineer and it might force me to work in academia. However, if I were to work in industry while going to school part time for the doctorate, I might have more options.

leright said:
I am currently a junior electrical engineering student (might possibly double major in computer engineering). I know for sure that while I am working I will pick up a masters in ECE by going to night school part time. I can do this in 2 years. However, I am wondering whether I should keep going to school to get a doctorate in engineering (possibly manufacturing systems or ECE). I can do this in about 6 years on top of the master's degree when going to school part time. My question to you is, how beneficial to an engineer is graduate study up to the doctorate? What kinds of opportunities are available to an engineer with a doctorate? I know the Ph.D is extremely important in the sciences, but is it as good of a degree to have in engineering?

Thanks

It's important to have a Ph.D in engineering if you are going to go into academia or research. If you're just going to work in the corporate environment, a master's would suffice. If you REALLY love the material -- go for a Ph.D. Nobody in engineering goes for a Ph.D. for the money; it is for the love of the subject.

A Ph.D in engineering won't limit you to teaching; this is a myth. Do a job search for engineering jobs, there is plenty of demand for Applied Sciences Ph.D. for high level engineering jobs. Do not write it off as such, I am saying this because I am undergrad mech. eng. and I want to certainly do my masters, maybe Ph.D and I heard the same comments. After looking into I am convinced otherwise that it limits you, it open the door to teaching, but also plenty of other job opportunities. However, it is true you must be pretty passionate to pursue a Ph.D.

What is a Doctorate in Engineering?

A Doctorate in Engineering, also known as a Ph.D. in Engineering, is the highest level of education that can be obtained in the field of engineering. It is a research-based degree that requires students to conduct original research in their chosen area of engineering and make a significant contribution to the field.

What are the requirements for a Doctorate in Engineering?

The requirements for a Doctorate in Engineering vary depending on the university and program, but typically include completing coursework, passing comprehensive exams, conducting original research, and defending a dissertation. Some programs may also require students to have a master's degree in engineering or a related field before applying for a Ph.D. program.

What can I do with a Doctorate in Engineering?

A Doctorate in Engineering can lead to a variety of career opportunities in academia, research, and industry. Graduates can become professors, researchers, consultants, and leaders in their field. The advanced knowledge and skills acquired during a Ph.D. program can also open up opportunities for high-level positions in engineering companies and government agencies.

How long does it take to complete a Doctorate in Engineering?

The length of a Doctorate in Engineering program varies depending on the student's background, the chosen area of research, and the program's requirements. On average, it takes 4-5 years to complete a Ph.D. program, but some students may take longer to finish their research and dissertation.

Is a Doctorate in Engineering worth it?

Earning a Doctorate in Engineering requires a significant investment of time, effort, and resources. However, for individuals passionate about research and seeking a career in academia or advanced positions in industry, a Ph.D. can be highly rewarding. Graduates with a Ph.D. also have the potential to earn higher salaries and have more opportunities for career growth and advancement.