Calculating Percentage Error: What to Do and How to Do It

• Thread starter Kandy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, percentage error is a measure of the difference between a measured value and an accepted value, expressed as a percentage. To calculate percentage error, you take the difference between the two values and divide it by the accepted value. In the case of not knowing the true value, the estimated error is divided by the measured value instead.
Kandy
I forgot how to do percentage error, actually I kind of forgot what it is. I do remember multiplying somthg by 100% but i can't remember what i divide b4 that.

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of percent error with regards to an accepted value:
Suppose you measured the atomic molar mass of lithium to be 8 g/mol. The accepted value is 6.94. You take the difference, which is 1.06g/mol, and the percent error is therefore +15.27% ie. 1.06/6.94 * 100%

Theoretically, you divide the error by the true value. In practice, you have an error because you don't know the true value! In that case you divide the (estimated error) by the measured value.

1. What is percentage error and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Percentage error is a measure of the accuracy of a calculated value compared to the actual value. It is important in scientific calculations because it helps assess the quality of the data and the reliability of the results. A high percentage error may indicate errors in the experimental procedure or measurement, while a low percentage error suggests a high level of accuracy and precision.

2. How do you calculate percentage error?

To calculate percentage error, you need the experimental value and the accepted (or actual) value. The formula is:
Percentage Error = (|Experimental Value - Actual Value| / Actual Value) x 100%
Note that the absolute value is used to ensure the result is positive, regardless of whether the experimental value is higher or lower than the actual value.

3. Can percentage error be negative?

Yes, percentage error can be negative. This occurs when the experimental value is greater than the actual value, resulting in a negative difference. It is important to take the absolute value when calculating percentage error to avoid confusion.

4. What are some common sources of error in scientific experiments that can contribute to percentage error?

There are several sources of error that can contribute to percentage error in scientific experiments, including human error (such as incorrect measurements or recording data), equipment limitations (such as instrument precision or accuracy), and environmental factors (such as temperature or humidity). It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error to obtain accurate and reliable results.

5. How do you interpret percentage error?

The interpretation of percentage error depends on the specific experiment and its context. Generally, a low percentage error (close to 0%) indicates a high level of accuracy, while a high percentage error (closer to 100%) suggests that there may be significant errors in the experimental procedure or measurement. It is important to compare the percentage error to the acceptable range for the specific experiment and consider the sources of error before drawing conclusions.