Can someone check my answers on these kinematics questions?

• Thread starter dnt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
I have revised them, and I believe that they are all correct except I am not sure about my answer for #3. I am fairly sure it is right because it is a negative number, but I guessed on that one.In summary, the conversation discusses solving various physics problems involving acceleration and distance using the equations v^2 = vo^2 + 2ad and d = Vot + 1/2(a)t^2. The answers provided by the person may have some typos, but the reasoning behind them is correct. They are seeking confirmation on the accuracy of their answers.
dnt
I think I am doing them right but they don't match the answers that were supplied to me - i think the

answers may have typos.

1. A bike accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed of 7.10 m/s over a distance of 35.4 m.

Determine the acceleration of the bike.

my answer: I used the formula v^2 = vo^2 + 2ad and got a = .712 m/s^2

2. A car traveling at 22.4 m/s skids to a stop in 2.55 s. Determine the skidding distance of the

car (assume uniform acceleration).

my answer: I solved for acceleration first (-8.78 m/s^2) then used d=Vot + 1/2(a)t^2 to get

d = 28.57 m.

3. A bullet is moving at a speed of 367 m/s when it embeds into a lump of moist clay. The bullet

penetrates for a distance of 0.0621 m. Determine the deceleration of the bullet when moving into

the clay.

my answer: I used the formula v^2 = vo^2 + 2ad and got a = -1.08 x 10^6 m/s. (my issue

here is that the answer should be negative, not positive. right?)

4. A dragster accelerates to a speed of 112 m/s over a distance of 398 m. Determine the

acceleration of the dragster.

my answer: Once again I used the formula v^2 = vo^2 + 2ad (with Vo = 0; at least I assume

that is true) and got a = 15.76 m/s^2.

I think my equations and answers are right but if not, can someone help me out and correct me where I have made mistakes.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reasoning to all of your answers makes sense, I did not check the actuak numeric values to the answers though.

can someone else check the answers to make sure they are correct? thanks.

#1, you got it right.
#2, wrong a little bit, it's exactly : d = 28.56 m (not d = 28.57 m). But 0.01 m would be negligible.
#3 is correct exept that it should be a = -1.08 x 106 m/s2, (not -1.08 x 106 m/s) :).
#4 is also correct.
Viet Dao,

thanks viet.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of classical mechanics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. Why is it important to check my answers on kinematics questions?

Checking your answers on kinematics questions helps to ensure that you have understood the concepts correctly and have solved the problems accurately. It also allows you to identify any mistakes you may have made and learn from them.

3. Can someone else check my answers for me?

Yes, you can ask someone else to check your answers for you. This can be a teacher, tutor, or classmate who is knowledgeable in kinematics and can provide helpful feedback on your solutions.

4. How can I check my kinematics answers on my own?

You can check your kinematics answers on your own by comparing them to the correct solutions provided in the textbook or by using online resources such as practice problems and answer keys. You can also try solving the problem again to see if you get the same answer.

5. What should I do if my answers are incorrect?

If your answers are incorrect, you should first try to identify where you went wrong and correct your mistakes. If you are still unable to find the error, you can seek help from a teacher or tutor who can guide you through the problem and explain the correct solution.