Learn How to Solve Acceleration Due to Gravity Questions with Ease

• Thread starter F.B
  • Start date
In summary, the balloonist dropped a ballast over the edge of the balloon 3.8 seconds later and the balloon was at a height of 15 meters when the ballast was released.
F.B
Ok now i am on acceleration due to gravity questions and i am kind of stuck.
Anyways the question is below

Heres what i did.

d=Vit + 1/2(a)(t^2)
d= -2.1(3.8) + 1/2(9.8)(3.8)^2

I think this how you get the answer which is 63 m but i don't get why we are using 3.8 s because at 3.8 s the displacement or distance should be 0 so can anyone please help me out

Sorry I am am such an idiot i did the wrong steps the actual question is in the last post

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
F.B said:
Ok now i am on acceleration due to gravity questions and i am kind of stuck.
Anyways i'll show you the question its faster this way.

A hot air balloon is moving with a velocity of 2.1 m/s [UP] when
Is there something missing here? Exactly what was the question?

Heres what i did.

d=Vit + 1/2(a)(t^2)
15=15t + 1/2(9.8)(t^2)
15=15t - 4.9t^2
-4.9t^2 +15t - 15 =0

I have to do the quadratic after this but i get a negative inside the roots. Can anyone please tell me why and help me.
Okay, I guess the question was "when will the balloon be at height 15 meters!" and the missing part was that the balloon was punctured (this is also assuming that air resistance plays no part which not very realistic for even a punctured balloon. Maybe the missing part was "suddenly the atmosphere disappears"!

Your equation is -4.9t2+ 15t- 15= 0 which you can solve by the quadratic formula:
[tex] x= \frac{-15 + \sqrt{(15)^2-4(-4.9)(15)}{2(-4.9)}[/tex]
Did you forget the the "-" on the -4.9? Certainly -4(-4.9)(15) will be positive and (15)2-4(-4.9)(15)= (15)2+ 4(4.9)(15) will be positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh sorry i forgot the question.

A hot air balloon is moving with a velocity of 2.1 m/s [UP] when the balloonist drops a ballast (a large mass used for height control) over the edge. The ballast hits the ground 3.8 s later.

How high was the balloon when the ballast was released??

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "Need help understanding"?

"Need help understanding" is a phrase that is commonly used to indicate that someone is having difficulty comprehending a concept or topic and is seeking assistance in gaining a better understanding of it.

2. Why is it important to ask for help in understanding something?

Asking for help in understanding something is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of a topic or concept. It also shows that we are open to learning and improving our understanding, which can lead to personal and professional growth.

3. How can I effectively communicate that I need help understanding something?

Effective communication of needing help understanding something involves being honest and specific about what you are struggling with. It is also important to ask for help from someone who is knowledgeable and can explain the topic in a way that is easy to understand.

4. What are some common barriers to understanding and how can they be overcome?

Some common barriers to understanding include a lack of prior knowledge or background on a topic, language barriers, and learning disabilities. These barriers can be overcome through seeking additional resources, breaking down the topic into smaller parts, and utilizing different learning techniques such as visual aids or hands-on activities.

5. Is it okay to ask for help understanding something multiple times?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help understanding something multiple times. Everyone learns at their own pace and may need to hear or see information presented in different ways in order to fully grasp it. It is important to not be afraid to ask for clarification and to keep asking until you have a clear understanding.